Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Favorite Cal. and why

(1/7) > >>

snake eyes:
What is your favorite Cal. and why:

redwing:
That's easy Snake Eyes, its always the one I don't have.  I would have to say the .50 it serves my needs for the most part.  It works well on deer, antelope etc.  It has served me well on targets.  To me its been a 30-06 of muzzle loaders.  Maybe too small for some things too big for others but it always works.  Now if my hand was not so shaky! It won't cure that.

Redwing

roundball:

--- Quote from: "snake eyes" ---What is your favorite Cal. and why:
--- End quote ---

Can't do it...question is too open-ended for me.
I'm fortunate to have accumulated .45/.50/.54/.58/.62 calibers, and my 'favorite' seems to ebb and flow over time throughout a year, depending on what I'm dealing with.

The .45cal is really special and fun to shoot year round, good for small game, plus whitetails if you mind the distance and shot placement;

The .50cal is a more solid choice for hunting and still pretty economical for year round shooting...plus, .50cal items are the most commonly available in most locales;

The .54cal is a strong hunting caliber and also better for some game larger than whitetails, carrying energy further than the .45/.50cals, and costing a little more to shoot year round;

The .58cal is a powerhouse, carries much more energy, to much further distances than lessor calibers, is good for most anything on the NA continent, but is expensive to shoot a lot year round;

The .62cal is like a big .58cal Magnum!

If I could only pick one ML 'FIREARM' to keep for my use in the Eastern woods, it would be a .54cal Flint smoothbore for shot & ball flexibility;

If I could only pick one ML 'RIFLE', it would be a .45cal x 1:48" as they shoot 128grn/.440's  and  255grn/conicals very well for small and big game;

But I can't simply say which is a "favorite" caliber without other criteria...
 :-k

Gambia:
:D .50 cal.  It's what I have in both rifle and pistol. :mozilla_wink:

Old Salt:
My favorite is the one I'm standing at the range with.  

The first to get me out of the basement will become officially my favorite.

I have two .50s, one .54 and a .45 that requires some work.  For now I shoot the best with the .54.

Old Salt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version