Traditional Firearms > Caplock Long Guns

tell me about Henry Leman Percussion trade rifles please

<< < (2/2)

Bigsmoke:
Well, Scott, do you like your ladies tall or shorter?  A lot of it is just personal opinion. Then there is always the thought of going for a 39" barrel, get right in between.
Benefits of a longer barrel:  1) longer sight radius should improve accuracy a bit;  2)  Gives the powder a longer time to burn, so your muzzle velocity would be a bit faster.
Disadvantages:  1)  If you are planning on hunting with it in brushy country, it is a little more awkward to get around in;  2)It weighs a bit more so there is a bit more fatigue factor there;  3)There are bound to be more ideas both ways, just cannot think of them now.
And then, the style of the rifle dictates barrel length as well.  For example, an English Sporting rifle really would not look right with a longer barrel.  I always liked 32" barrels on mine.  And on the other end is the thought of a nice southern mountain rifle would not look right with a 24" barrel.
IIRC, my Leman had either a 36" or a 39" barrel and it balanced very nicely.
John (Bigsmoke)

Ohio Joe:
Scott, I built a couple 42" barrel flintlocks - and on a calm day (little to no wind) they shoot great. But,,, they're devilish to hold on target out in the open even on a semi-windy day. I prefer my 36" barreled rifles (and also like my 28" and 32" barreled rifles on any day with wind over 10 mph. Most of my shooting 99% of the time is offhand - and we have no shortage of wind in Northwest Nebraska.  :shake

Now when talking about your "persona" - who's to say your rifle barrel didn't have to be shorten because of some sort of damage? You don't get rid of a good barrel just because of damage - you shorten it / or have it shortened, and move on West...

BEAVERMAN:

--- Quote from: sclearman on January 22, 2022, 12:19:23 PM ---I like the look, and it's seems a bit more historically accurate to imagine a everyday guy heading west would have one of the percussion trade rifles than a Hawken that we all love.

--- End quote ---

Those 2 names are well known, along with the Derringer Trade Rifle and many many lesser known, Penn, Ohio , Indiana, and Illinois smiths who produced rifles of the mountain type on spec, 12 years ago I visited a friend of my Dad's who started collecting BP rifles while in high school in the late 40's in Chicago , his collection of original rifles and smooth bore and shotguns number around 220 amazing stuff, many rocky mountain style or " hawken style" guns by lesser or obscure rifle makers. Most were plain Jane, iron furniture, no patch box and a few never had a butt plate on them more like a barn gun but 50 cal of larger!

Winter Hawk:

--- Quote from: Bigsmoke on January 22, 2022, 06:08:26 PM ---FWIW, about 30+ years ago I acquired one of JP Gunstock's full stock percussion Leman's.  It was a very comfortable rifle to shoot and it was scary accurate.  Stupidly, like so many of my rifles, I sold that to a fellow back east. I heard tell he converted it to flint and sold the percussion lock.  What a waste!!!

--- End quote ---

Same could be said about converting a flintlock to percussion....   :bigsmile:

Sorry John, when I read that just now, I couldn't resist!

~Kees~

Bigsmoke:
 :applaud :applaud :applaud :luff:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version