Traditional Firearms > Caplock Long Guns

T/C Hawken questions.

(1/4) > >>

Glenbo66:
Hello,
I'm very new to Black powder shooting.  I picked up a T/C Hawken at an auction last weekend and have a couple questions about it. 
The Hawken rifles I've seen have had brass trigger guards and this one is steel?
The only numbers I can find on the gun are/is 5103.  Could that be the serial number (seems low)?
Thanks in advance.
Glen

rollingb:

--- Quote from: Glenbo66 on October 29, 2022, 07:44:13 PM ---Hello,
I'm very new to Black powder shooting.  I picked up a T/C Hawken at an auction last weekend and have a couple questions about it. 
The Hawken rifles I've seen have had brass trigger guards and this one is steel?
The only numbers I can find on the gun are/is 5103.  Could that be the serial number (seems low)?
Thanks in advance.
Glen

--- End quote ---

That is quite possibly it's serial number, I'm pretty sure the only other number stamped on the barrel is the caliber size.   :bl th up

Bigsmoke:
Yep, that is probably the serial number.
And I would say that one that is 5xxx was probably made back in the early 70's.
Someone could have replaced the brass trigger guard with either the guard off of a Renegade if it is the T/C Hawken design, or maybe one of the Hawken Shop parts to "Hawkenize" the T/C Hawken.  You can always replace the wedge plates with Renegade ones and use Brass Black to color the nose cap, the patch box and the butt plate.  Or, I think the Hawken Shop has steel replacement parts for most all the hardware on your rifle.
And if it is a .50 caliber, as most of the older ones were, that can be cured by having the barrel drilled out to .54.
Regardless of what you do, those old T/C's were rugged guns.  If the mainspring plunger has the wasp waist end on it, I would replace that with the newer model.  Those old ones were known to break from time to time.  Else, problem free.
Enjoy.  A photo or two would be a good thing to post also.
John (Bigsmoke)

KDubs:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

This TC .54 started as all brass but i removed it and bought steel hardware and then rusted/ browned everything barrel too.
 Awesome gun, she's a shooter. .
 Have fun .
Kevin

Bigsmoke:
Kevin, I sure do like the looks of your rifle.  Good job on it.

Glen, here is a link to the Hawken Shop replacement parts kit.
https://www.thehawkenshop.com/Departments/The-Hawken-Shop/Hawken-Components/Hawken-Shop-Furnishings.aspx
Back in the day, years ago when I used to set up shop at various rendezvous, I used to buy T/C lock parts and furniture from The Log Cabin Shop in Ohio.  I don't see T/C parts listed on their online catalog, but you might give a call and ask.
Enjoy.
John (Bigsmoke)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version