Traditional Firearms > Caplock Long Guns

estimating velocity

<< < (5/5)

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote ---And John, I can't even imagine the recoil of 350 grains of Fg pushing a 3500 grain projectile!  How is your shoulder now, after all the years of punishment you gave it?  :o

--- End quote ---

Surprisingly enough, the right shoulder is doing OK, considering, as you put it, all the years of punishment.
Sorry to say, however, that the left shoulder is the one bothering me, rotator cuff ripped and arthritis and bursitis diagnosed and treating it with shots.  Plus tendonitis in the left elbow.  Them "itis" brothers seem to be out to get me.  Oh well, I guess they are right when they say that getting old ain't for sissies.  ;banghead;

John (Bigsmoke)

RobD:

--- Quote from: Winter Hawk on August 24, 2023, 04:42:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: RobD on August 20, 2023, 06:06:54 PM ---Ya need to be VERY CAREFUL with where to aim with regards to "screen" type chronos - too many folks aim either dead center or low and wind up trashing the chrono.  At such a short distance 'tween muzzle and chrono, bullet POI will be LOW, sometimes drastically low, ask me how I know this ....

--- End quote ---
That is why I suggested putting an aiming point on the paper, so a person doesn't shoot too low and destroy the chronograph.

And John, I can't even imagine the recoil of 350 grains of Fg pushing a 3500 grain projectile!  How is your shoulder now, after all the years of punishment you gave it?  :o

~Kees~

--- End quote ---

No, that might spell disaster because at 10ft to 15ft or so there can be a Huge difference 'tween bore sight and actual sight ... and this WILL happen with long guns that sport high sights.  Been there, didn't do the bore sight, bullseye into the chrono face.  In the best of worlds it's bore sight that should be employed with all screen chrono's.  Easy to do with any long gun that can have an open breech (bolt, break open, etc), difficult for muzzleloaders and other "closed breech" guns.

Winter Hawk:
I was looking in in the back of my 2023 Dixie catalog the other day and noticed an article on estimating bullet velocity.  I think the Lyman handbook with empirical data is probably more accurate but this is another source for "guesstimating" how your loads are doing.

~Kees~

RobD:
Sticking in one of those muzzle bore lasers will quickly show where the bbl needs to be pointed at the chrono.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version