Traditional Firearms > Caplock Long Guns

English Big Game Rifle

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bigsmoke:
Feltwad,
Some beautiful rifles sure do come across your hands.  It is a privilege to see some of them.
I also noticed the column of flip up sights on the rifle.  On my 8 bore, I had a set of three sights, and that was good for 200 yards and the number 3 sight wasn't nearly as tall.
I have no experience with banded ball shooting.  Any info you can give us on shooting that beautiful piece?  Powder charge, loading, etc?
Thank you,
John (Bigsmoke)

Feltwad:

--- Quote from: Winter Hawk on March 11, 2024, 11:23:17 AM ---Woah!  I hadn't noticed the multiple (!) fold-up rear sights on that puppy before!  What distances is that calibrated for? That is cooler than cool!

~Kees~

--- End quote ---
Bigsmoke

Personally I have very little info  i  bought it has a collectors piece and to shoot it here in the UK the law will be very  strict ,if only a few shots it would have to go  on a firearms certificate and can only be used on a approved  militia type range. The shooting of game  eg deer  with any type of muzzle loader is not allowed .
The previous owner who I understood shot abroad and  had the gun restored in 1985  by the original maker  firm William Powel  I approached  them for a full report   ,load, range etc but they would supply but the cost was excessive so I left ii
Feltwad

Bigsmoke:
Thank you sir.  I appreciate your response and I understand the problems involved with firearms in the UK.
Much like Canada, I would imagine.
Too bad William Powell and Co had to be that way with the information.
Regardless, you do have a very nice piece of firearms history there.
Enjoy!
John

Feltwad:
 [ Invalid Attachment ] A better view of the top rib sighting  notice that the leaves have no V and the rib is marked off in intervals
Feltwad

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Feltwad:
Not much response to this thread i entered because I thought it would have been of interest  but it seems not
Feltwad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version