Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lube...what you use and how you use it???  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Re: Lube...what you use and how you use it???
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »
Russ, Stumpy's still an excellent moderator on the Traditional ML Forum, which is where I got his lube recipe.  Although he's fellow new Yorker, he's several hours west of me (and there's no direct route between us).  Anyhow, for those interested in "brewing" a batch, here's Stumpy's recipe:

Stumpy's Moose Snot: 

A premium multi-shot between wiping (10+) patch lube stable over a wide temperature range. 
SPECIFICALLY designed for use of patched round balls in a loading block.

Beeswax 2 oz.

Castor Oil* 8 oz.

Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat beeswax in a soup can set a pot of water or a double boiler. I keep my beeswax in a one pound coffee can and measure out what I need by melting it and pouring it into measuring cups. Add just enough water so the inner can does not begin to float (should be just short of the lube level in the can). Heat the water to a low boil. In a separate can, add the castor oil and Murphy's oil soap (cold). Once the beeswax is melted, swap the castor oil can in the pot of water for the beeswax. Add the beeswax to the oils. It will clump up. Stir with an ice tea spoon as the mixture heats up. When it fully melts there will be a scum that floats to the top and just won't mix in. Be patient. DO NOT COOK THE MIXTURE. Once the solids are dissolved there is no need to heat further. Skim the scum off. Remove the mix from the heat and wipe the water off the outside (so it won't drip into the container when you pour it out). FINAL TOP SECRET STEP: Add a teaspoon of Murphy's Oil Soap and stir vigorously. This last step makes the lube frothy and smooth - really adds to the appearance; though it doesn't seem to matter to the function of the lube. Clamp the can in the jaws of a Vise-Grip pliers and pour into the waiting tins. Allow to cool a half hour. 

Note: it if is a hinged tin - line the edge that has the hinges with a strip of aluminum foil so it doesn't ooze out before it cools.

*You can use any vegetable oil if you can't find castor oil as per Stumpy himself.  I used canola oil and the lube is excellent.

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »
Spit mostly cause its free and I never run out... but for hunting I use whatever lube concoction I happen to have on hand. K

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
  • New BP shooter, only been doing this since 2015.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 12:13:24 AM »
Following this topic for the very useful recipes that i'm going to steal!  ;D

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 09:33:19 AM »

:lol sign You just go ahead and steal away!  :bow
In fact, through your own "lube experiments" you should end up having a preference that you can, in return, share with us....

Glad you've found something here worth stealing, that's what we're all about.
Take a little knowledge, leave a little knowledge, that my friend is what the TMA is all about.

:hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 10:28:59 AM »
6 or 8 years ago, I posted the recipes for Stumpy's Moose Juice & Moose Snot.  I reckon they got eaten by the cyber monster during one of our site changes.  I have and use both of these lubes.  The last couple of years I have been real happy with the TOW Mink Oil.   Any of these lubes can be used (IMHO) to prepare patches in advance.  The Moose Juice will end up pretty much being a dry lube after the water evaporates.  The Moose Snot & TOW Mink Oil you can just rub in with your fingers...then roll or fold up (I like rolls) and shove in your bag or what ever you're storing your patch material in.  The lube will work it's way all through the ticking or whatever.  I'm not one to go through a bunch of changes or jump through a lot of hoops to lube my patches...just roll it up and let it happen.
As a side note...spit works ok too...but it's a little messy when ya got a mouth full of 'baccy...
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »
But good for marking your target.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
spit works ok too...but it's a little messy when ya got a mouth full of 'baccy...

Al, I usually take a bottle of Powerade to the Range with me to help make spit... I'm thinking it beefs up my load and makes my balls go faster, further, and who only knows what else.... :laffing    And it ain't as near messy as Copenhagen spit... :lol sign
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
  • New BP shooter, only been doing this since 2015.
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »
Russ mate,

There are so many little gems on this forum its frankly ridiculous.... ;D

But rest assured as soon as I know enough to have an opinion, i'll be sure to spread the word! (Just don't hold your breath eh?)

:lol sign You just go ahead and steal away!  :bow
In fact, through your own "lube experiments" you should end up having a preference that you can, in return, share with us....

Glad you've found something here worth stealing, that's what we're all about.
Take a little knowledge, leave a little knowledge, that my friend is what the TMA is all about.

:hairy

Uncle Russ...

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »
Joe Revealed:
Al, I usually take a bottle of Powerade to the Range with me to help make spit... I'm thinking it beefs up my load and makes my balls go faster, further, and who only knows what else.... :laffing    And it ain't as near messy as Copenhagen spit
Well Joe...I've heard that PowerAde is banned at a lot of shoots...they sasy it gives the shooter an unfair advantage!! ::)
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
one i hooked into the benefits of a grease lubed patch, all the spit and oils and messy stuff went bye-bye.  nothing else compares to its ability to lube the tube, clear the fouling, abate the gas blow-by, ease of handling and use.  perfect for a ball board, too.  gato feo rules, the other lubes literally drool.  :laffing

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
I use two to three parts olive oil, depending on the outside temps, and one part beeswax.

It's cheap, non-toxic, works for dressing mocs and chapped lips, plus works as a bullet lube and barrel/lock grease. 

Some folks like Mink Oil.  I confess I've never tried it.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »

Hunting here in New England, I've been satisfactorily using T/C Bore Butter 1000+ in all my frontstuffers since the mid 1980's.

I season the barrels per Ox/Yoke's instructions, and lube the Maxi-Hunter conicals I use with it - besides storing the gun(s) for the next season (after wiping out/cleaning, of course).

No voodoo, no rust, no fuss, no issues/problems - just decent accuracy and E-Z-Peazy cleaning.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 09:47:38 PM »
Here's one which I haven't tried to make, but am planning on doing so as soon as I get some beeswax.  The world lost a good man when Junior died a couple of years back.  His daughter was keeping up the site, but I don't know what is going on now.  Probably on to other things in life.  Anyway, here is the link:

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm

ML content is that he uses it in a .50 front stuffer.  :laughing

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 01:41:35 AM »
I am sorry to read Junior has passed away...
I haven't heard from him in several years, but this was the last, and worst thing, I could ever have imagined.
God rest his soul.

Junior and I have exchanged hours and hours of conversations on the internet by email,
Junior was indeed a good man...if he told you something, you could take it to the Bank!
He quite often made fools of the intellectual with their 3 Dollar words and his colloquial, down to earth writings...you had to love it, and you had to love him.
"Ivory Soap is a striate, and much more"....I'll never forget that.

Very sorry to hear this.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
MAN Musketman and Stumpkiller! Dang Russ you are old........ :bow