Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

finish

<< < (2/3) > >>

Captchee:
yep looks like  mole simehow made it through

jtwodogs:
I think I understand the process of"Whiskered" sanded "Whiskered".

I do not know or am not sure what "Burnished" or "Boned" is.

Am I right in assumming it is some type of nitric acid bath, followed by heating??

Captchee:

--- Quote from: "jack simpson" ---I think I understand the process of"Whiskered" sanded "Whiskered".

I do not know or am not sure what "Burnished" or "Boned" is.

Am I right in assumming it is some type of nitric acid bath, followed by heating??
--- End quote ---

jack Burnishing and boneing are the same . its a process of compressing the wood .
 what you do is use something that polished smooth . with  boning its the use of a polished smooth bone .
 in reality you can use a peice of harder wood . you rub this on the wood to compress the grain and polish it before  applying oil or a wax finish

jtwodogs:
Ok.
Is the processed that I described with the nitric acid and heat, is that used to bring out "The curl" in curly maple.

I am a virgin when it comes to these kinda stocks, just trying to figure it all out.
thanks jack

Captchee:
yess that brings out the grain as well as provides some color to the stock . most folks use Aquafortis  to do this .
 there are also other ways to bring out the grain , like using lamp black .
 but remeber if your stipping a stock that has tung oil on it , that oil will hamper  the penitrating ability of most anything you put on  even when it looks like your down to bare wood . Tung oil goes very deep into the wood
 when you apply the oil , that oil will aso darken the color .
 remeber also that linseed oil never truly dries  even though it apears to be completely dry . howver time it will collect more oils off you hands ,  dirt , grime , cleaning solvents .
many times this is why  original rifles are so dark .  the oil has created its own patena  to the wood

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version