Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: fouling issue  (Read 1598 times)

Offline lbothell

• TMA Forum Member
Re: fouling issue
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 04:04:25 PM »
Firelapping seems to be a pretty simple fix and definitely worth a try. From what I'm understanding is I'm firing these lubed patches and then recleaning correct? How much powder or does it matter? Or am I even on the right page ha

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »
lbothell, a question for you.

What exactly are you cleaning your bore with? I didn't see it mentioned. Please list if you would exactly what your using to clean with and your complete method from beginning to end before storing your rifle muzzle down. Also, is hot water any part of cleaning the bore. I ask because hot water will cause flash rust.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline lbothell

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
Cleaning is as followed:
 water in bore then flushed to get started
Run some patches
Run brass brush through
Water flush
Run Patches till they come out dry
Hoppes 9 bore cleaner
Run patches till dry and clean
Oil down with kroil oil to finish

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »
IMHO ...

i will preface to say that in all NORMAL circumstances, all that's ever needed to clean out black powder fouling is plain ol' tepid tap water.  anything else is a waste of money and perhaps time.  

pull the lock and stick it in a bucket of tepid tap water, to be revisited when the barrel's cleaned and oiled.

if the barrel is pinned, plug the touch hole with a round toothpick, pour fill the barrel with the tepid water and let it stand for 2 to 5 minutes - allow the water to do its job.  turn the touch hole so it's facing the ground and pull out the toothpick and for flat breech plugs, use a scrapper clean off the plug's face.  if a patent breech, after using the scraper, run a .22 bronze brush wrapped in a wet patch down into the breech's flue to clean that out.  then finish up by plunging a water wet patched jag up and down the bore 'til the water pissing out the touch hole is clean.  run down dry patches and then one oily patch - almost ANY oil will do just fine, don't waste money on fancy expensive stuff.  there is no need for special "bore cleaners" or "bore oils" or added cleaning steps.

if the barrel has a hook breech (yer hawken type rifles), pop the barrel wedges, lift out the barrel, set the ignition end in a bucket of tepid tap water and plunge the bore with a patched jag.  when the water pisses out clean, see above.

now attend to the lock - use a toothbrush to clean while the lock's in the bucket of water.  when cleaned out, paper towel pat dry well, use wd-40 spray or an oily rag to coat all the lock parts and the complete lock plate.  paper towel pat off any excess oil.  put the lock back.  

done.

HOWEVER, pitting is a total 'nother story and that must be resolved first and foremost.  posts here address what needs to be done to rid of pitting and restore the barrel to the point that the NORMAL cleaning process can be administered effectively.

Offline lbothell

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 05:16:18 PM »
I agree 100% about being simple with cleaning. I knew something was wrong when I had to go through all these steps to get it clean. My .40 cal flintlock is so easy to get clean it's a chore to clean my .45

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »
no question, the first step is pulling the breech and seeing what needs to be done, and how best to go about it.  i hope it all works out great for ya, getz are great barrels and it sure sounds like you have a fine rifle.  please be sure to keep us in the loop on its road to recovery.

Offline lbothell

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 05:29:15 PM »
I definitely Will, and yes I love the getz! Don't want to loose it. I am going to contact the builder and see what he can do since he was selling the gun at a shop that was said to be new. Maybe he can pull the breech and what not since he is most familiar with the piece.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »
Quote from: "lbothell"
I definitely Will, and yes I love the getz! Don't want to loose it. I am going to contact the builder and see what he can do since he was selling the gun at a shop that was said to be new. Maybe he can pull the breech and what not since he is most familiar with the piece.

definitely a good first move, sir!

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
I agree with Rob, that's a great place to start, and keeping that Getz barrel in good shape is a no.1 priority!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline lbothell

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
Couldn't agree more! Thanks for everything guys I do appreciate it!

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Yeah it's swamped but having it polished out might be the ticket. So what do you consider a light load? 30grains of fff? Cause that's what I like shootin out of it haha

When I referred to "light loads", I was speaking to a shorter column of powder under the projectile - which could allow the projectile to encroach into the newly-enlarged "chamber" area, which could entail improper projectile alignment with the bore proper, and/or patches being stripped off the ball upon firing.

I would suggest measuring where inside the bore the 30gr FFFg charge tops off at to see if it comes up to at least the fwd limit of any enlargement in the "chamber" area. (aka: doing the homework/due-diligence prior to making changes)

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline lbothell

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »
Well here is an update... I kinda wanted to try something before I got to carried away, plus I like to do what I can myself ha. I started with 000 steel wool and worked the breech area quite a bit. I didn't mess with the anything above the loading chamber with the steel wool since my focus was there anyway. Once I felt good about my work since you are going at it blind I then cleaned with remington 40x to really clean out anything that was left over and to smooth things out. We'll went squirrel hunting the other evening  (ran into a bear but that's another story!) And got quite a bit of shooting. This click boom thing is taking getting used to so no squirrel for the pot but thats okay. Now after shooting I noticed even in between shots fouling was much better, got home and put the scraper down the barrel expecting lots of fouling like I normally have. Much to my surprise there was none! Gun never cleaned up so fast, kinda like it's supposed to i would say. Thanks again everyone for the advice!

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 07:58:07 PM »
great news!

now let's fix that dang click-boom thing, it should go k'rack! like this ...

is the flint really sharp and then it and the pan and the frizzen are cleaned before each firing?  is the touch hole well aigned with the pan?  what size vent hole?  are you picking the vent for each firing?  what pan powder and how much and how is it distributed in the pan?

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
Are you using a dry rag to wipe the pan and frizzen in the video Rob?
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline lbothell

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 08:39:04 PM »
Yes yes yes and yes! I use 3F for pan just because I'll be honest I don't feel like carrying more stuff. I clean everything after each shot. I honestly believe it's how this gun shoots, my .40 is instant BUT it has a nice vent liner. This gun doesn't have a vent liner just a straight hole like the origionals and seems to have a lot of metal in between the pan and chamber. I always keep it clean and put just a little powder in the whole to try and bridge the gap, i dont fill it but you have to put some it or it just isn't reliable. It's delay is definitely more then the .40 but not by much just enough to throw me off a bit. I don't have the heart to put a liner in it because it's different and I kinda like that ha.