Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 8/32 or 10/32 threads  (Read 1255 times)

Offline oomcurt

• TMA Forum Member
8/32 or 10/32 threads
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »
Kind of curious....strength wise...does one have an advantage over the other....assuming the theads are in good shape and the attachments fit snug against the rod? Why I am asking is...I'm thinking of modifying the ram rod that came with one of my rifles to accept jags, bullet pullers, etc. The thing is...the rod (steel) is only 1/4 inch in diameter...that means, from what I am seeing on various web sites that sell things like that, for that size diameter rod...seems only 8/32 screws are available...that is fine..if...the end result is something that will hold up. Incidentally...the caliber of the rifle I am talking about is a .58.

Thanking all who reply,
Curt
TMA member #177
Interest: Rocky Mt'n Fur Trade
March 1 2008

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »
A 10/32 would be stronger than a 8/32 thread. The major diameter of a 10/32 thread is nearly 3/16". Hope this helps you a little.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
Curt
Sure, the 10-32 would be stronger than a 8-32.  But, in real life, I don't think it really would make a bit of difference.  Just make sure all the accessories have steel shanks and not brass.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:43:10 AM »
The 8-32 should work fine.  I have an old Treso 1/4 steel rod I have been using for twenty years or so on rifles from .32 to .58.  I used it for a range rod for everything up until a couple of years ago when I made a shorter rod for the plains type rifles.  When I made the shorter rod I kept the 8-32 threads because that is what everything else is threaded.  I have had no problems with that thread size.

The only caution is the same as bigsmoke mentioned.  Get steel shanks on the fittings instead of brass.  Nothing is more agravating than breaking a brass shank when the jag is right on the breach face.  The only way to get it out is to unbreach.  Something I hate to have to do.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Fort Greene Ville

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 46
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
My simple thought is start with an 8/32, if the thread should strip or damage one can simply enlarge to 10/32. Actually had that misfortune on a lock bolt.

FGV
Even a blind Squirrel finds a nut once in a while!
Andrew Kenworthy
Charter #46 10/9/17 exp
Life member NRA
Life member NAHC
NMLRA member
Fort Greene Ville Muzzle Loaders Inc-Secretary

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:51:41 PM »
also be watchful of ones with hollow thread shafts
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »
I think TOTW still sells a gizmo that converts 8/32 to 10/32 and viceversa. I've got both.. you can screw them together to make a ramrod extension that's handy when cleaning.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Online Sneakon

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »
Interesting info.  A question that comes to my inexperienced mind is why is there two different thread sizes to begin with?  I would have thought that one size would have become the standard after some time.  Is one size more common than another?
Shining Times!
Sneakon
TMA Charter Member #76 expires 7/12/12

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
Sneakon,
I would guess that the majority of ramrods now are 10-32.  Most all the factory stuff is.   I know that of the hundreds and hundreds of  pounds of hardware that I have sold over the decades, the vast majority of it has been 10-32.  
Why two different sizes?  I think a lot of the early accessory stuff was pretty much all 8-32, then someone got a bright idea the 10-32 would be stronger, especially with brass threaded items.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »
Another consideration is that a 10/32 tap in a 1/4 inch rod doesn't leave much rod around the thread,1/32 or so,not a real husky joint.I make my own and even with a lathe or a drill press it takes more than a little care to get a no. 8 thread cut in a 1/4"rod where it belongs. With a steel ramrod like you have I would leave it alone and go with the no. 8 fittings.With reasonable care it will last longer than you will need it.

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 11:04:03 AM »
Quote from: "melsdad"
A 10/32 would be stronger than a 8/32 thread. The major diameter of a 10/32 thread is nearly 3/16". Hope this helps you a little.

That's the main thing.

One word of caution about mixing sizes - you can actually start a 8/32 ball puller in a 10/32 ramrod . . . but it will pull out of the ramrod once you get it nice and set into the ball . . . then the fun really gets started . . .

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.