Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: More on Lubes...  (Read 783 times)

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
More on Lubes...
« on: October 25, 2008, 11:42:51 AM »
The one question that is most likely to go unanswered today is; "What is the "best" lube to use in my super dupper new pop-gun"...

Personally, I don't think there is a "best" answer, as we all have different views, and expections, on what a good lube should be. Insofar as being practical, nothing beats good old fashioned Crisco. But that is not where it ends.

Doing our own lube has become a interesting side-line in our game of muzzleloading, and many of us have found a whole new hobby in experimenting with different lubes because we all realize that somewhere out there, there is in fact a best lube for each of us.

The following is old and I have posted it before, but I feel it's worth looking at again just to learn a bit more about the corrosive properties of some fairly well know lubes...some of us just never learn enough about this fascinating game of ours.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_exp ... osion.html
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »
Thanks for the link Russ.  I've always found this good informative reading. :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 07:04:13 PM »
I wish they had compared traditional olive oil, as well as veg-oil and beeswax.  The article is right, they should've used barrels, as the exposure to the air on an open surface is very different than that in an enclosed barrel.  Still the outside of barrels are exposed, and at least it gives an idea about preventing rust outside the barrel and on the surface of the lock, eh?

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 10:23:51 PM »
When I shoot, part of the procedure is cleaning my guns.   I have devolved my lube to plain ol' grocery store manteca blanca.  White lard.   All my smokepoles seem to love it, showing the lovey goodness by placing the projectiles where I aim 'em.   Mostly.    

Not only that, but if I need something to fry my eggs in, I'm set.  A 1 lb. package of stabilized lard will last wrapped in it's original waxed paper in a US Army M. 1916 bacon tin for at least two years.   Hard to beat.   Available everywhere, and cheap, too.

Three Hawks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:51:11 PM by Three Hawks »
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »
Thanks for the information Russ, lots of information!
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »
I use simple straight olive oil for a patch lube and a bee's wax/olive oil mix for bullet lube.  I can shoot all day long with the PRB and olive oil.  After scrubbing my guns clean after the shoot, it's 21st Century products to prevent rust.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR