Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: wrapped shot  (Read 720 times)

Offline sawbones

• TMA Forum Member
wrapped shot
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:51 PM »
Is there any historical evidence of guys wrapping shot in paper for the ease of loading and carrying?  I do it now and it works great. I just didn't know if it was "period correct" or not.  I would imagine since they had cartridges for the muskets with powder and ball, the same could be had for shot with or without the powder.
never flinch
Sawbones #300  expires 1/4/10

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:42:24 AM »
Yes there were shot cartridges for muzzle loading sporting shotguns with true cylinder barrels. Here in the UK companies such as ELEY made them in both paper and wire.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »
Here is an 18th century English reference to shot cartridges. I have yet to find an 18th century reference to shooting patched round balls from a smooth gun though.

"We have often intended to try the effect of making  up the charges of fhot in flight cartridges, and firing"
 A N  E S S AY O N  SHOOTING.
CONTAINING:
 The various Methods of forging, boring, and drefling Gun Barrels,
practifed in France, Spain, and England,
and the different Proofs of Barrels employed in thofe Countries ;
with Remarks. —
An Inveftigation of the Caufes of Recoil, and of Burfting, with Propofals for preventing or remedying them. — An Inquiry into the Effects of the Length, Bore, and Charge, upon the Range, &c. of the Piece. — •
And Remarks upon the Articles of Powder, Shot, Wadding, &c. &c.
ALSO Infractions for attaining the Art of Shooting.
— The Methods of training Pointers.
— And a fliort Defcription of the Game of this Country, as connected with the Amufement of Shooting.
The whole interfperfed with fummary Obfervations on the various Subjects of the Sport.

DUBLIN: PRINTED BY ZACHARIAH JACKSON, Ton CRUEBER,  AND M'ALLIST ER, No. 59, DA ME-STREET.  M.OCC.I.XXXIX. PREFACE. X H E

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:26:43 AM »
Capt. Jas....you mentioned something that I have often wondered about.....the use of a patch with a rounball in a smoothie. Perhaps on another thread....okay?

Somehow, I have always thought of "bagged shot", "shot cartridges", and "powder and ball" as being around since the very early days of the musket. I have read of some very exotic things produced by Ely but I have no clue as to their dates.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4