Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: club butt buccaneer  (Read 809 times)

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
club butt buccaneer
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:03:46 PM »
I would like to to know if there is anybody who offers a club butt buccaneer gun kit for sale. A friend of mine is very interested in building one of these very long guns that was also used by the French Navy to shoot from the topmasts.
It sure sounds like a fun gun to shoot.
Thanks for any information you can give me to pass along.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:54:42 PM »
The Rifle Shop might, some of the Indian made imports might also have one but I suspecy you will have to start with a hunk of wood you can have a long custmombarrel made and find a lock but I have not seen one of thses in a kit The Rifle Shop would be the place to start.

Offline WhiteBlanket

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:53:47 PM »
Jackie Brown is currently putting together  "a Dutch-club-butt with 48" barrel .75 caliber."  Sounds like a Buccaneer style to me.

You might be able to get it "in the White" or as a kit from him.  

http://www.historicaltrekking.com/forum ... php?t=4120

I have one of his guns and I love it.
TMA Member No. 316

Etienne de la Haye dit Sansquartier
Marchand des Vins et Eaux-de-Vie

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
Thanks for the information men. I wish that the rifle shop would show a pic of the product and a better description of the stock.

Jackie Brown is not quit what I am interested in but thanks again for the information.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 02:21:07 PM »
No kits that I know of other than TRS but Mike Brooks makes a very reasonably priced one.
fowlingguns.com

Offline WhiteBlanket

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »
Quote from: "chuckpa"
Thanks for the information men. I wish that the rifle shop would show a pic of the product and a better description of the stock.

Jackie Brown is not quit what I am interested in but thanks again for the information.

The Catalog of the Rifle shop has the parts description. I have the 2007-8 catalog at hand.

A 44.5" barrel and parts ( including assembled lock) is $1025.00 for the kit. if you want a longer barrel, they suggest buying from Ben Coogle.  The regular stock in the kit above is $275.00.  A stock for a 50" barrel is $375.00.   And so forth.

The catalog picture shows the stock from the butt to the entry thimble for the ramrod. Nice carved/cast butplate with naval images,  three screw early sideplate, flat faced lock, early style.

The butt of the stock somewhat resembles THIS one, but the top comb of the gun in the Rifle Shop CataLog is almost horizontal,  with almost no drop, and without the aggressive a notch over the end of the wrist.

Good luck,

Whiteblanket
TMA Member No. 316

Etienne de la Haye dit Sansquartier
Marchand des Vins et Eaux-de-Vie

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
well  my take is that no one makes a kit of such a peice . to include the  rifle shop.
 of which  you very well may be in an old folks home before the parts ever get to you  any way .

the reason i say no one   is because you state

very long guns that was also used by the French Navy to shoot from the topmasts
many of these were abnormally long  and i do mean long  well over 44 inches .
much diffrent then the standard  buccaneer

this  is an exsample of a fusil fin but when we compair this to  say an Aries Buccaneer  you can see  how abnormaly long these  really were
 the barrels alone would be 51- 55 1/2 inches

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »
Thank you Whiteblanket
I will order their catalog today.
Thank you also Captchee
I have the book that you  took that information from
and I would like to find more information about these guns. My friend wants to make one and I just might make one along with him. I have a Fowler with a 511/2" barrel and I enjoy shooting it.
I have been interested in Buccaneers and Marines since I was a kid. I lived on an Island in Narraganset Bay R.I. and of course a lot of pirates and privateers sailed from there.
 as well as slavers.
I was interested in the Marines because my father was one and so you know where I went in 1960.
My wife is of French Canadian ancestry LOL so I guess I do need one of those guns.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 07:53:27 PM »
hanson  has  some information  in his publication on Tulle  concerning these .  much more  the CFG.
 its been a while since i read it but If i recall correctly he documents some with 58- 60 inch barrels