Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: G & JW Hawksley~Sheffield Flasks--Q  (Read 833 times)

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
G & JW Hawksley~Sheffield Flasks--Q
« on: November 03, 2010, 01:24:57 PM »
Actually two questions:

1) What period(s) do these fit? (I know, patented 1814, so how long and where were they typically used?)

2) Is it REALLY safe to dump powder downbore from one of these "flameproof valves?" It goes against the grain of everything I currently practice.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »
Well, I am sure not an expert on flasks, but here is my take.  For those flasks, I would say on the Continent and in Africa, they would have been used through the end of the muzzleloading era.  So, up to 1860 - 1870 or so.  Most of the big game hunters either used a flask, or a leather pocket on their vest out of which they would scoop a handful of powder to reload.  Forsythe mentions carrying powder in a flask in India.  Baker mentions carrying powder in a pocket while in Africa.

Frankly, Kermit, I would not trust my hand and my head to the flameproof valve.  What's the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true, it is?  Now granted, I have never had a load go off while pouring powder down the barrel, but it sure could.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:59 PM »
most events i go to  dont alow loading from a flask even if that flask has a measure attached . they look at it in the same way as loading from the horn

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »
I'm not to sure about the period after 1814 but I would suppose that their use would have been limited to persons of means.

As for safety check out this topic from earlier this year.  This one caught a spark off a grinder at some distance and it found its way through the valve and into the powder in the flask.  I suspect that this was possible because of powder residue build up in the spout.

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... sc&start=0

:Doh!  :Doh!
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:50:38 AM »
Powder flasks have been with us since the matchlock days , these were mostly triangle shape and mostly of wood with metal binding. The flask as we know today of copper or brass  became popular through the late flintlock period  by flask makers such as Sykes whose patent flask top of 1814 was later improved by Dixon, there was also another well know maker called Frith,
The most well known flask maker of the percussion era was  James Dixon & Sons of Sheffield  who started producing flasks in 1833 at Cornish Place Sheffield .Another well known company who produced flasks was G &J.W.Hawksley,they were others who produced powder flasks.
Although the powder flask improved safety wise with the fire proof shutter it still can ignite from a spark in the barrel , all my 61 years of shooting muzzle loaders I loaded straight from the flask till about  12 years ago when I had a full flask ignite , luckly it was a long barrel gun and I was in a sitting postion it blew the flask sky wads out of my hand  and ended in three parts 20 yards away but it left me badly burnt down my right side , if it had been a standed percussion gun and I had been standing up it would have been a lot worse , today I load from a seperate measure.
Another bad habit with flintlock shooters is to carry a priming flask or horn on a cord hung from around their neck this can ignite from falling powder from the pan
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline swathdiver

• TMA Forum Member
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »
Quote from: "Feltwad"
...all my 61 years of shooting muzzle loaders I loaded straight from the flask till about  12 years ago when I had a full flask ignite

Was that a flask with a flameproof valve like the Sykes or a standard design like used to load cap and ball six shooters?

Offline Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
Re: G & JW Hawksley~Sheffield Flasks--Q
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »
Excuse the late reply yes the powder flask  was fitted with a flame proof   cut off  by Dixon & Son  a Sheffield maker .This was full flask which on ignition  and blown out of my hand with the bulk igniting above my head badly burning  the side of my face and the right side of my arm and body.I was sitting in hide when this happened if I had been standing would be a lot worse
Feltwad
This is what was left

Part of my Powder Flask Display

Offline swathdiver

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 11:05:24 PM »
Thank you for your informative reply and that is a nice collection sir.  Would you say the valve was open or defective somehow when the explosion occurred?

Offline Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 01:48:46 AM »
Swathdiver

I can definitley say the valve was closed when the charge was poured.
Feltwad

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 04:36:35 PM »
Very nice, Feltwad! :lt th
In your opinion, about how long has the cut-off valve been in place, or perhaps when did it become popular?

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 02:57:58 AM »
Russ
Has I said the cut off in the powderflask  was between the matchlock and early flintlock period,  by 1750 it was well used  and made by many flask makers of Sheffield and Birmingham.
Feltwad