Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: $10 Japan Kentucky  (Read 865 times)

Offline LadyHawk

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #644 Expires 12/12/2019
$10 Japan Kentucky
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
So I brought home a $10 Kentucky that is missing the lock.  The barrel isn't bad on the outside ;) The ramrod can't make it down the last 5" so something is in there other than all the rust I can see. I believe it is a Miroku from looking online at pics, yet the only markings say "Japan PR 318".  Any info?  I wanted to part it out but my boy wants to fix her up.  Would need a replacement lock and I am assuming barrel. 
Thanks- LH
TMA Member Number 644, Expires 12/12/2019

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: $10 Japan Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 02:38:42 AM »
Careful! That "something" could very well be a loaded rifle, with that stoppage being a powder column and seated ball

If you don't have a co2 discharger with a flintlock tip, designed for this very purpose, you are likely going to have to draw that puppy with a worm....and that is anything but fun.

But I would first try removing it with air-pressure...while pointed in a safe direction.
I have heard of a football / basketball valve fitting through the flash hole on some these older Miroku guns..
If you have an air compressor, and a football valve, and a little bit of luck, you may be able to move that "mass of something" out of the barred.
If you should be able to move it just a little bit forward, be sure you seat it back before trying again.
That kind of action seems to work best with co2 dischargers, but it does work.

Without doing these two relatively simple things, you may well need to taKe it to a Gunsmith

As far as the gun itself, Dixie Gun Works sold train loads of these things back in the late 60 mid 70's.
Miroku is a well respected Japanese Gun Maker when it comes to modern firearms, but many of the muzzleloaders they made, shipped to the states, and were sold by DGW just were not the quality of their other guns.

Once again, be very careful with that gun.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:13:58 AM »
Yes that sounds like a ball is short started perhaps over a charge. I have bought more than one that was loaded,pawnshops and most recently a couple of weeks ago, at an estate sale. That one is an old Dixie kit, barrel is only stamped Dixie Gun Works. Its kind of a cobbled mess but was relatively cheap so I gambled. Like Uncle Russ said, air imo would be the safest way to get whats in there out. Good luck and post a pix if you can.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »
LadyHawk; if you truly want to clear the barrel, then put several drops of gun oil down the barrel first, then follow Uncle Russ's instructions. If it doesn't clear out easily, then I'd trash it. Your lock money is better spent on a better "project".
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »
If air won't work, try a grease gun to pump it out.  But first, soak that puppy; leave the breach end in a bucket of water overnight before trying to get the obstruction out.  Might even add some dish soap to the water.

And before giving up on the barrel, give Bobby Hoyt a call and see what he can do for you.  I just found him to be a very reasonable and honest man to work with.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline LadyHawk

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #644 Expires 12/12/2019
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
Thanks all. I did try to move it with my Co2 but it didn't budge. Will try some oil and the air compressor next.
TMA Member Number 644, Expires 12/12/2019

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »
Thanks all. I did try to move it with my Co2 but it didn't budge. Will try some oil and the air compressor next.

Good on you!
Oil, almost any kind is good, but if ya should happen to have some "Kroil" oil sitting around, you'll be in high cotton for sure.
There's a sayin...(it might even be on their can), but it says "Kroil, the oil that Kreeps", and it does indeed creep, best break free type oil I've ever used.
But about any good, thin, oil should help.

Good Luck!

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4