Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Which Gun Blue to use?  (Read 803 times)

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
Which Gun Blue to use?
« on: June 15, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
I am refinishing a CVA double12.   any suggestions on which gun blue to use?  I see track has several, but have never used bluing.  The brrel has been sort of blued, but it seems to have rubed off into sort of a grey patina.  would like to accomplish a deep dark blue.  any help, tips, suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks  Sean
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Which Gun Blue to use?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »
unless you wanting a period type of blue , i would send it off and have it blued .

past that , i have never cared for any of the cold blues  . i do like a good rust black  Niter and fire blue

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:29:34 AM »
I certainly agree with Captchee - if you are starting from scratch a good hot
bluing is really required and I know very few DIY folk who can afford to set that up.

I have used several cold blues for touch ups and they all work after a fashion, but just
never seem to look like new.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
When it has absolutely gotta be a cold blue, then there's only one Cold Blue I would consider and that is Oxpho-Blue from Brownells.
It is the best, hands down!
And, I can say this from experience, not something I read in a book.

I have used this bluing for years and never had a problem. I have done several long rifles, a whole bunch of handguns,  and a couple of Side by Sides with really fragile ribs, and it did a great job.
The nicest part of this solution, IMO, is the fact it can even be "polished" during application with 0000 Steel Wool....I have also heard you can apply this stuff with "0" steel wool....it's that good.

Just keep your strokes straight, and none of this round & round stuff that often brings out uneven scratches.
In fact, after bluing, you can even buff the bluing with a large soft wheel and Red Rouge if you keep the speed down under 2,000 RPM.

OXPHO-BLUEŽ | Brownells  

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline 30coupe

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Quote from: "RussB"
When it has absolutely gotta be a cold blue, then there's only one Cold Blue I would consider and that is Oxpho-Blue from Brownells.
It is the best, hands down!
And, I can say this from experience, not something I read in a book.

I have used this bluing for years and never had a problem. I have done several long rifles, a whole bunch of handguns,  and a couple of Side by Sides with really fragile ribs, and it did a great job.
The nicest part of this solution, IMO, is the fact it can even be "polished" during application with 0000 Steel Wool....I have also heard you can apply this stuff with "0" steel wool....it's that good.

Just keep your strokes straight, and none of this round & round stuff that often brings out uneven scratches.
In fact, after bluing, you can even buff the bluing with a large soft wheel and Red Rouge if you keep the speed down under 2,000 RPM.

OXPHO-BLUEŽ | Brownells  

Uncle Russ...

I have to agree. I've used Oxpho Blue for years and it is the best cold blue available, bar none. I've done double barrels with it as well as my TC Hawken. It is a very durable and attractive finish. The other cold blue products are generally best used to touch up small areas. Oxpho Blue is designed for and works well for bluing entire guns.

:hairy