Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Staple type under lugs  (Read 842 times)

Offline rldarmstr

• TMA Forum Member
Staple type under lugs
« on: June 08, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »
I am not new to building muzzle loading rifles, mostly flint, but I have never used the "staple" type of under lug before. I ordered keys and under lugs, the kind that you dovetail into the bottom flat, from TOW but they back ordered several times to the point that I was willing to try something else. I ordered three staple type under lugs and the tools to mark and peen them in place.

My question is this; what size drill do I use?  Are the holes drilled to the diameter of the staple or to the diameter of the slightly enlarged tip of each leg of the staple? Or, is it something in between?

Any insight or enlightenment would be appreciated.

Robert

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
Re: Staple type under lugs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:08:09 AM »
Drill so the big end of staple fits snug in hole.  The tool to peen the flat of bbl. compresses and work hardens the metal around the staple leg, rock the tool back & forth to get a tight fit.  When lugs are hard to come by a few minutes on a piece a scrap steel and a hacksaw & file is way better'n waiting weeks for a little part.     Didn't TOTH include info sheet, used too......Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline rldarmstr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
No info sheet supplied.

Yes I could do the hacksaw and file routine....just being lazy I guess.  

I have never had a problem with the dove tailed under lugs. Can't quite figure why they are seemingly so hard to come by through TOW, these days.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »
Part of the reason   things are getting harder to get is that  as over head rises , more and more shops are buying in bulk . Doing so  helps them keep the price down .

Do as Gunmaker suggested . The heads of the  staples should set to the hole with just a slight tap .
ToW used to send the correct drill bit  with their complete set . What they didn’t send was a depth cullet for the drill bit so as to keep  a person from drilling to deep .

Under lugs are simple to make  .  No reason to be waiting on such an item