Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Anyone pull a CVA breech plug?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline MountainDevil

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Anyone pull a CVA breech plug?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 11:42:40 AM »
Talked to lyman about the kit guns and guess what? Only complete rifles are proof tested. Kits/replacement barrels are NOT tested.

Im wondering if your barrels BP was actually just rusty/corroded from the casting?

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 12:21:37 PM »
and i'm wondering just what yer agenda is with me and the trad ml community, jon.  i dunno who you talked to at lyman, but they're dead wrong.  except for india, all commercial offshore barrels and breech plugs are proofed before exporting.  that's a mandate not to be taken lightly.  this is particularly true of the italian barrels, and even those lesser krappy quality cva and traditions spanish barrels with their dumb (CHEAP) "welded on" patent breech plugs.  these are the markings on my lyman kit hawken rifle ... the "PN" marks on both the barrel and breech designate proof house servicing ...........

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 04:53:39 PM »
I think I posted a CVA drum here a year or so back. The drum touches the other side of the barrel. The barrel is drilled across the face of the breech plug. SO,you have to pull the drum , then the breech plug will come out.

Be warned , it is wound in tighter than a Scottsman's wallet!

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 05:20:42 PM »
i can only relate to trad ml flintlocks, and in that vein ...  

cva and tradition ml's are fine for what they are - decent trad ml's that get you into the game for Cheap.  maybe less than 1% of their users will ever have a need to attempt to pull these rifle patent breech plugs, and 99% of them will either booger up or destroy the barrel in the process.  but for the few buck$ spent on 'em, who cares?  the cheapest long term trad ml that WILL allow patent breech plug removal is still those built not in spain, but in italy by investarms - the best value in a production trad ml these dayze, imho.