Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: a "shoed" ramrod  (Read 1334 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
a "shoed" ramrod
« on: September 05, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »
built a few new ramrods for the .40 flinter using 5/16" hickory and brass 10-32 ferrules at one end for cleaning jags and the other actual ramming end i drilled in a 1/16" hole, punched out a 5/16" disc from 1/16" brass, drilled a 1/16" hole in the disc, and used a 1/16" brass brad, along with wicked-in CYA, to "shoe" the disc to the business end of the rod.  for one of the rods i used a 3/8" slip-on ferrule for a 5/16" diameter rod - it'll pass through a .40 bore and this might prove to be a faster way to build a good ramrod by not having to tenon the ferrule end of the rod.  hope to try these out one day this week.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: a "shoed" ramrod
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »
You're definitely a pretty handy fella!
Looking forward to hearing about your results.
 :hairy

Uncle Russ...
Got Raffle Tickets??
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:49:48 PM »
Good thinking Rob. Interested to hear your Range test results.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 05:50:53 AM »
as a loading rod, i expect this to work just fine, but as a cleaning rod, i don't expect this to work well because the shoed end has little area for finger grasping purchase, to twirl the rod and pull it out - that'd take a pair of pliers and probably damage the wood.

back to the drawing board ...

a 3/32" hole that's 3/4" down from the shoed tip (to clear the internal brass brad) should allow the passage of a common nail to give great leverage to the rod.  wicking in water thin CYA to that hole should immensely toughen the hickory, as well. (or maybe bush it with a brass tubing?)

next up, i'll attempt to build a better mousetrap using toothpicks, sewing thread, and sealing wax.   :Doh!  :laffing

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »
I've noticed over the years (as I'm sure many of you have as well), some folks will have their ramrod sticking out a few inches longer beyond the muzzle. Myself, I've never had a ramrod extend that far out from its seat in the stock. When building my own stocks I normally try to go a little longer with the ramrod hole for a little more length, but I've never tried a longer one (ramrod) that set beyond the muzzle when seated and stored. I always just assumed the powder would harm a ramrod that stuck out to far from the muzzle.

Anyone have any experience with an extra long ramrod store under their rifle when shooting? If so, tell us about it and if the ramrod gets damaged from the muzzle blast.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 08:25:28 PM »
oh yeah, 3" and sometimes longer, mostly the brass ferrule and brass jag.  never had any issues.  since i don't flip the rod for ramming, the jag is rarely used.  lately i've just been leaving the jag off and in the pouch, and the ferrule is either flush with, or out less than an inch beyond the muzzle.  i'm getting more into rods with one ferrule, as indicated in this thread, but all my other rods have dual ferrules which allows using both ends with jags, for added extension and leverage if, say, i need some help with a dreaded dry ball.  8)   

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »

Anyone have any experience with an extra long ramrod store under their rifle when shooting? If so, tell us about it and if the ramrod gets damaged from the muzzle blast.  :shake

When I built the ramrod for my 20 Bore Light American Sporting Rifle I had the rod about even with the muzzle, then the jag on it stuck out past the muzzle.  As I have probably mentioned before I ran a target load of 135 grains of GOEX FFG and my get very serious load was 200 grains of Ffg.  Somewhere back I noticed that the rod tip had started to buckle a little bit from the force of the muzzleblast.  That was about where I had pinned the rod tip onto the rod, IIRC.  I might have a photo of it somewhere.  If I can find it I will post it.  Else, yer imagination can do.

Other than that, I have always had rods that ended right at the muzzle.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »
Including loading jag, mine is out about 2". After untold shots, it's unaffected by muzzle blast. Years ago I did break one loading the rifle into the truck when I caught it on the doorpost so I guess there are drawbacks.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell