Craftsmanship > Hawks and Knives

Russel Knives

(1/3) > >>

tg:
I was looking theu a vendirs online catalouge earlier today and saw a large selection of finished Russel/green river knives low cost stuff, I seem to have neglected to mark the site, anyone know of sites that handel the russel knives, with handles allready intalled prefferably but blank blades would work TIA

david32cal:
Crazy Crow, Track of the Wolf

jasontn:
best dealer by far on those is crazy crow. you will find they have a lot of blanks, and a few handled models that other dealers dont usually have. the finished blades have the later styled cutlers rivets. i really like working with these blades.

Three Hawks:
If you heat the handle portion of the blank to a dull cherry, then place into a bucket of clean wood ash to cool slowly it will soften enough to drill for pins.  Insulated by the ash the blade will take several hours to cool enough  to touch.  I let 'em sit overnight.  To drill without annealing, you'll need a carbide bit.

I've done several with nice hardwood scales and pins made of 1/8" brazing rod.  Drill the blade 1/8" and the scales 7/64" then gently peen the ends of the pins.  

I like the Green River "Camp Knife",  it is a fine camp knife, holds an edge well and is the right shape and length for camp cooking duties.

Three Hawks

jasontn:
i did that with my last one, six brass pins and maple scales. got the knife, scales and tacks from crazy crow. less than 20 bucks in a killer little 15 inch knife. im partial to the big butchers. did the small 8 inch bladed one too, only i used 3 steel pins on it. used 3 steel pins on a slightly modified buff skinner too, its got curly ash handles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version