Craftsmanship > Hawks and Knives

Favorite glues?

(1/6) > >>

WhiteBlanket:
I was at the woodworking store this week and found two glues I have not used in knifemaking - 'Gorilla Glue" and "Titebond Polyurethane Liquid Glue."

I was wondering if anyone had used these glues in their knifemaking.  

Secondly, what are your favorite glues?  I am aware of the use of pine pitch and pewter to set a knife blade, but I am more interested in the use of these glues in the attachement of wooden scales to a full tang blade.

One of the other epoxies I bought finishes in an ugly gray and I don't think I will use it again.

BEAVERMAN:
WB, ALL the polyurethane glues expand way too much for knife scales, stick with epoxies, the slower the cure working time on the epoxy the stronger they become when set, now that being said, ive used 5 min epoxy on scales and I double dog dare ya to try to get that wood away from the steel, the wood gives up the ghost and splinters before the adhesion lets go, of  course as always others mileage may vary! all depends on how you prep the steel!

TomG:
I use the 5 min epoxy also.

jbullard1:
I get mine at NAPA 5 minute and 30 minute cure time and its clear
Use the 30 most of the time don't have to hurry as much

Fletcher:
The only place that Gorilla glue has worked for me is the leather handles of throwing knives and it also works great to gllue back on the ears and legs of the 3-D animal archery targets when they get mishandled or shot off!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version