Craftsmanship > Hawks and Knives

Favorite glues?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Three Hawks:
Epoxies are NOT very heat resistant, nor are they resistant to alcohols, either industrial or beverage.  The 5 minute set epoxies are not as strong as slow cure, but for knife scales and other applications  that don't require a great deal of structural integrity, such as cementing end plugs into powder horns, and things of that nature, the strength differential is only a topic of discussion, not a failure factor.  They also work better on porous or rough surfaces, and do best when only held in contact, with as little pressure as possible until set.  Most epoxies leave a clear glue line that takes dyes poorly.

Gorilla glue adheres to nearly any clean surface, but has a problem with the excess expressing itself out of the joint,  requiring mechanical removal.  The excess can be scraped, cut or sanded, whichever is most suitable to the situation.   It is unbelievably strong, again requiring only moderate pressure to adhere properly. It leaves a light brown glue line.

Three Hawks

Groundhog:
Durco Epoxy ... 5 minute is ok but the longer set epoxies are much stronger. Like anything the aplication has got to be clean.
A "putty" type two part epoxy I have put thru some extreme conditons at home and at work , is "PC-7" PASTE   it is very strong once set up ... even used it on an application where it stayed at 225 degrees with pressure behind it for months and months ... tuff stuff.
It can also be sanded down once set.
Not a real   sticky    glue
Gorilla glue is really junk ... don't do what they say it doooo.

BEAVERMAN:

--- Quote from: "Groundhog" ---Gorilla glue is really junk ... don't do what they say it doooo.
--- End quote ---

Except for wood to wood, strongest glue Ive used on woods, the wood around the joint will plinter before the glue lets loose!

2-bellys:
problem with gorilla glue is not the glue  ,most time  it is the user  you have to dampen the parts to be glued and use only a small amount and spread it thin  then apply clamps it will provide a secure bond. but i like the old two part epoxy  ,myself .wally world sells some called plastic welder  that is very good.

jasontn:
plastic welder is all i have tried, and it really works. tried gorilla glue once and didnt like it much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version