Craftsmanship > Hawks and Knives

How to age or color bone?

(1/3) > >>

Witch Hollow:
So I figured out how to fix my coyote jaw to the knife blade, but now I want to give it that aged look.  It is now bleached and I want almost a brown color ultimatly.  I am not sure how to color the jaw bone and if anyone has done this please let me know.

Thanks
Ben

BEAVERMAN:
Ive used instant tea with lemon, added quite a bit to boiling water, enogh to cover the project, in your case the handle, let it sit till your liking the color, remove and rinse, then seal it, regular tea will work also but the lemon helps it penetrate faster

Three Hawks:

--- Quote from: "BEAVERMAN" ---Ive used instant tea with lemon, added quite a bit to boiling water, enogh to cover the project, in your case the handle, let it sit till your liking the color, remove and rinse, then seal it, regular tea will work also but the lemon helps it penetrate faster
--- End quote ---

Extremely strong black tea, four or five teabags to enough boiling water to cover whatever you're staining. with a tablespoon or two of white vinegar.  Lemon juice, whether from a bottle or a lemon will do every bit as well.   Leave the bags in the tea, no sense losing any of your dyeing agent.   Check every hour or two to see how dark your item is getting.  

When I was a sprog in the long-ago when America ran on steam,  I carved some Grizzly claws out of basswood using the instructions in "The Complete How-To Book Of Indian Craft" by W. Ben Hunt, a wonderful book which should be on the bookshelf of every Mountain Type Man or Mountain Type Man wannabe from 9 to 99.

I stained 'em with tea and vinegar, then rubbed 'em with 4x steel wool and paste furniture wax.   You needed real ones to compare 'em to  in order to tell they were fake.    

Three Hawks

Witch Hollow:
Thanks for the advice.  I'll be making some tea tonite.

Ben

Sneakon:
I've used black walnut husks boiled in water with vinegar added to the cooled dye.  Here are some knives with antler handles dyed with this method.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version