Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Bad News, Good News  (Read 378 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Bad News, Good News
« on: November 03, 2018, 08:57:24 PM »
A month or so ago I was letting the dogs run and our husky took off to the shelter house of our little village park, and then wouldn't come back to me.  One of those "ha ha, I can't hear you...." moments.  I stormed up to him; he knew he was in trouble and rolled on his back.  I snapped the leash on his collar and gave him a jerk to let him know I was NOT pleased.  Now this dog has some emotional issues so I can't get rough with him and the jerk on the collar wasn't severe.  However, my right index finger knuckle started to hurt after this.

As it is still painful I went to the doctor last Tuesday and she sent me to get it X-rayed.  On Thursday I got word that I have arthritis in it.  They set me up an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in a couple of weeks to evaluate it and see if steroid shots can help.  Not looking forward to that after having had them in my elbow 20 years ago!

The good news?  I am coping by using my middle finger for stuff I normally would use the index finger for and it is working out great (except for that pointer finger getting in the way at times).  I find that it is actually easier to pull the triggers on my rifles with the middle finger.  I have only been dry firing as I haven't had a chance to get to the range lately but it sure seems to work well!

I know I'm not the only one with these issues which seem to befall us once we reach a certain age.  How do you others cope?  I figure that pulling the bow may be a thing of the past, at least for the 50 pound longbow.  We'll see how the shots work.

Okay, enough of my whining.  I'm going to bed.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Bad News, Good News
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:55:30 PM »
~Kees~

My body just seems to be in some sort of pain all the time in cool damp weather. I guess I'm just use to it and live with it. I never look forward to winter, and I'm glad to see spring come as I know the warmer weather sure makes my joints and muscles feel better as summer approaches. I guess that's why they invented Advil, and Rendezvous with Rondo, and that Crown we drink,,, 'em medicine,,, sure limbers me up a bit...  :toast

Hope you get to feeling better.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 11:23:14 PM »
Them Itis Brothers sure do kick a guy's a$$.  You know them, there is Arthur, Tendon, Burs and a few others.  Had all of them after me at one time or another.  They ain't fun guys to be around.
One of the few rewards of living here in LaLaLand is when they visit, it ain't as bad.  A couple of shots of good brandy usually gets rid of the problems.
The old fingers so far have not been a problem, but I might have to give that middle finger trigger pull a try.  Don't hurt to be prepared.  Of course, I have been thinking about starting to shoot my flinter again, and with a trigger pull measured in ounces, I don't know how much trouble it would be.
Do hope you get to feeling better and the hand get back to normal.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:22:57 AM »
I've been thanking the Man Upstairs for years on end now, all for providing the means for me to get those Cortisone Shots.
No telling how many I've had over the past 15 or so years, but it's been more than just a couple.
(Since they can only give you three shots every 90 days IIRC,  it probably wouldn't add up to all that many I suspect, but I do know I have appreciated every one I ever got....that appreciation kicked in about 20 minutes later.)

Got 'em in my Spine at L4-L5 for years, two at a time trying to build that cartilage disk up, got 'em in my shoulders, elbows, knees, and even in my wrists several times.....when ya can't close your hand or make a fist, cause the old fingers won't bend, then it's time to make another clinic visit.
I wouldn't even try pulling a trigger when that happens.

The actual Cortisone shots themselves are a real nothing burger, but that "spot-freeze", seconds before the shot, now that is a real bear...there's times it makes yer eyes water, and if don't jump clean outta yer chair, ya get a star by your name for that day...I ain't got no stars yet, but I did get 2 atty-boys for NOT crushing that stainless steel table I was holding on to....

I suspect if we were all real tough old Mountain Men we wouldn't really need those silly old Cortisone Shots, we'd just grit our teeth and tough it out.
That one modern life example alone sure does give one a whole new respect for those old boys running the Mountains, wadding in Icy Creeks, traipsing in snow up to their waist, sleeping on the cold frozen ground, and no Medicine Man, Fort, or Frontier Doctor in the world had any access to Cortisone, or even had a clue what it might be.....
Little wonder those fellers were so dadburn mean, kicking Bears, ridding buffaloes, and drinking Liquor....they were afraid that if they ever really did get down, all those "Ittis Brothers" would kick in and never let 'em back up again.

Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
Russ,
Was just sitting here reading your posting, and it reminded me of another one of them Itis brothers.  How could I have ever forgotten him?  Probably because he never came around me all nasty and mean.  Yep, the old trappers' nemisis, good old Rheumati.  I think he was the meanest of them all.  He would get those old trappers down and kick on him for a while, then call in the other brothers.  Like you say, at that point, the old trapper was toast.
My step dad had some severe arthritis in his back and hips and he was very familiar with the cortisone shots.  He said it was a two sided sword, he liked the relief but didn't care much for the side effects.  So, there you go...

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »
Had the cortisone shots in my elbow 20 years ago or so.  The first couple of times they worked, the third not at all and I ended up on the operating table.  The shots were a real bear, with the doc pulling the needle out a tad and then back in to hit another point in the joint.  I don't remember any "spot freeze", although that may have been in there also.  I go see the orthopod (as one doctor called the orthopedic surgeon) next week for an assessment of my knuckle.  I see more shots in my future!  :laffing

I really feel like a wuss.  My Sweetie has multiple pain issues and I'm complaining about a little owee in one finger.  Boohoo!  Brandy sounds good but I've had alcohol issues in the past and don't want to get sucked into that situation again!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025