Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Started my Lancaster today, have a MORE question 5-27-09  (Read 1946 times)

Offline pintail_drake2004

• TMA Forum Member
Started my Lancaster today, have a MORE question 5-27-09
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »
Is there anything i can use other than inletting black? I did not realize i didnt order any until today. I have been waiting or spring break to build my rifes because i have 9 days off. If i wait for some black to come in, it would be 3 days at least, 4 since tomorrow is sunday. Can ya help me out here? what else works? i called every store i could think of in 3 counties and they dont have it (most dont even know what it is)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:54:32 PM by pintail_drake2004 »

Offline Buffler Razz

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »
I used some of my wife's lipstick, worked ok but gets thick. I have the best results by wiping a real tiny bit of vaseline on the part with a rag and then sooting it up in the flame of a candle. Thats all I use now. Just be careful bending over your work if the flame is still going, I thinned a bit of my hair and I don't have much to spare anymore!
Buffler Razz
aka Ron Razzolini
TMA Member 348
THE TMA "NEEDS" YOU!...JOIN TODAY

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
i used inletting black once .
IMO it’s  whats called a fools buy . IE you buy something that does the very same thing as something cheaper or free  because a book  or   list of required  items says to .
Candle or  lamp black works good but its messy  and can get all over everything .

Here is what I do . Go down to the store and get you a larger  black Permanent  , Marks a Lot , marker .
 The one  with about a half inch head  used for posters and such . They work great for  coating a barrel flat  as well as the inside of lock plats . Sharpies will do the same thing . Just get  one with a big enough tip  so as you can color things quickly .
 Markers will transfer  usually 2 to 3 times before you have to re coat the area . They also will not bleed gunk all over everything  . They also do not leave an oil on the wood that must be removed .

For my inletting , that all I use  anymore

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:32:44 AM »
Captchee has given the best method I know of, a lot cleaner than anything else I have used as well.

Offline Iktomi

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
Great tip, Captchee. I used inlet black on my first gun, what a freaking mess!
TMA member #417, expires 2/14/2010

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
I'm going to use a marker on my next build.  That inletting black stuff gets all over everything.  It's a huge mess!
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
Thank you for the replies. Ill get some markers while i am out today.

Offline Greg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »
Another great tip. I love this forum. pintail, I'm gettin' ready to buy my first kit too. Which one did you get?
Greg Hall
TMA Member #416
Expires Feb. 2012

"He who knows best knows how little he knows".
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Buffler Razz

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 07:05:32 PM »
Capchee,
Wow, given my past performance with a candle, you just saved me from more hairloss!
Thanks,
Razz
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:28:19 PM by Buffler Razz »
Buffler Razz
aka Ron Razzolini
TMA Member 348
THE TMA "NEEDS" YOU!...JOIN TODAY

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
I like the idea of the marker!! I will keep that in mind.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »
I use a candle like Wyosmith does, and when I don't have a candle handy, I've used a kerosene lamp by taking the globe off and turning the flame down low. :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:12:04 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
I use a candle like Wyosmith does, and when I don't have a candle handy, I've used a kerosene lamp by taking the globe off and turning the flame down low. :rt th

I use a coal oil lamp too...but I turn that puppy up high and let'er smoke 'em really good.

I also use a coal oil lamp for smoking my bullet moulds. I get 'em black as tar, and the bullets drop right out....very seldom have to tap the center pin.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »
Well i tried the marker and the candle, and for me the candle worked better. I put in about 8-9 hours on my rifle today and got the lock and barrel fitted. However i do have one question, When i inletted the lock, the rear of the pan sits further out from the barrel than the front of the pan. WHy is this? i used the black and didnt find anymore wood to be removed. I will try to get some pix up tomorrow night.

I am using a pecatonica Lancaster kit. I am very happy with the grade of maple i recieved (my brother likes his too).

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 11:02:06 PM »
did you  inlet the  lock plate  alone or did you leave it all together ? if its together ,  then check and see if the sear is  touching  the inside of the sear hole .
 if you just inlet the  plate alone "as you should do first . then the back of the plate is not inlet far enough

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 04:07:40 PM »
OK well i got the lock to fit correctly and sit flush with the barrel (except for a 0.019" gap that i cannot get to go away between the barrel and pan). The trigger inletted today, now i would like to put the side plate on. My question is, How do i find where the bolts go? i read the book several times,but something is just not clicking. Can anyone here help me out?