Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Ramrods  (Read 675 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
Ramrods
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:06:04 AM »
I`m wanting to make a ramrod since mine has splinterd.  I`ve heard of soaking them in coal oil but there`s got to be something else you can use. Also, i`ve seen the ramrods with the curly pattern, what are they ?     So, what`s the process for making a ramrod.

Burch
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »
I get the proper size hickory rod, cut it to size and and fit a threaded brass end on it.  When the brass end is fitted, I pin it with a 1/16" steel pin.  I sand down the wood smooth, stain and give it a coat of tung oil.  The tung oil is to seal the wood to keep it from swelling from humidity.

I guess soaking in kerosine for six months will seal it to some degree.  Some people say it makes it more flexible.  All I've seen it do is make the ramrod smell like kerosine.  They don't seem to resist breaking any more than a rod that hasen't been sealed.

Ramrods with the curly pattern can be done a number of ways.  I did one for my shotgun once and used string soaked in stain and wrapped the rod in a spiral pattern.  Other people will tape the ramrod and hit it with a torch.  The wood will char a little where it is not protected by the tape.  If I was inclined to do it again, I would use the charing method.  the method I used was messy and a pain to get right.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 01:35:40 AM »
Do [size=150]not [/size]for the love of all that's holy use a hardware store dowel !  Along that path lies horror and pain.   Dowels are machine cut with the grain going wherever it chooses, usually off the dowel in less than six inches.   When, not if, it breaks; you'll have a dirty dowel stuck right through your hand or wrist.  Not especially fun.

A hickory or ash split,  split to as close to the size needed  as possible, then sized  in succeedingly smaller holes in a dowelling plate will have the grain running straight the full length.  Then scrape, not sand it smooth, finishing as you choose.  

I load my rifle guns with range rods I made of  tool steel drill rod.  Never gonna break one of those.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:00:37 PM »
I have had no problem with a Hardware store dowel. I have been useing one for the past four years. It is even tapered to 5/16" at the base. So far, it is the best one I have had in many years, but I was very careful in picking it out, and flex testing when no one was looking.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:02:17 PM »
it depends on the hardware store rod . Some now days are actually using Ramin  , those are good rods  if you pick and chose one with good grain .
 But again you have to take the time to see what it is they are selling you . If you don’t , you just may find on through your hand. Been there and have the scar to prove it .

As to curly maple . I don’t recommend it . While it would be a very  nice , showy rod . It would be weak and  great care would have to be taken with it .  As was said by another poster . You want a rod , free of knotts  or grain run out . IE you want the grain to run full leaght if possible

Now if your speaking of barber pole type rods . Simply use masking tape  and wrap the rod , leaving a space  between the tape as you twist  up the rod . Then come back and stain .

On the subject of Coal oil . Keep in mind that Kerosene is not coal oil .
 Basically  what soaking does is two things
1) the oil softens the fibers , making the rod alittle more  resistant to  breakage during deflection
2) it   keeps moisture out  very well .  If you have ever had a wood RR swell in wet weather , you know that its near if not impossible to remove . The coal oil prevents that swelling from happening

Lastly  if you use a wood RR , do not neglect it . It needs to be cleaned and  greased . Do that every time you clean and  the wood rod will last you a long time

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
Ramrods
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »
Order them from Dennis Glaznener - these are nice stock and Dennis is a long time BP shooter and knows what is needed to make a good rammrod...

"now in stock in 3/8" $2 each, 7/16" $2.15 and 1/2" $2.75 each. Nice straight grained hickory blanks. Email for prices on premimum quality and/or quanity discounts."
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf