Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Traditions Trapper Pistol Kit  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
Traditions Trapper Pistol Kit
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »
I bought myself an early birthday present in the form of a new Trapper pistol kit. I was a bit disappointed when I saw the sear was mangled to the point of uselessness.   I E-mailed Traditions and this morning got a reply. Very concise and clear instructions how to repair the sear.

You can't imagine how refreshing it felt to have a company assume I can do this repair myself. I have the feeling than most others would have me send the entire kit back, insured and registered at my own expense to replace a six dollar, repairable part, or to argue that I must have done it myself and repairs on that sort of damage would have to be charged for.

Anyway, there you have it.

Happy as a pig in poo ol'

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »
Do they send you a new part or do you have to correct the one you have?
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:24:35 PM »
Quote from: "jbullard1"

I'm gonna do it meself.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
There real good about replacing parts when theres a problem especially with the main springs! Ive replaced 3 of them in the last 5 years! we had a problem with No Loads Pioneer pistol a year ago, told them about it, he sent it in and 3 weeks later they sent him back a brand new pistol NIB no questions asked!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:39:40 PM »
Quote from: "Three Hawks"

I'm gonna do it meself.

Three Hawks

Am I misunderstanding something here  :?
You have to repair the defective part yourself ?

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »
Quote from: "Three Hawks"

I'm gonna do it meself.

Three Hawks

Am I misunderstanding something here  :?
You have to repair the defective part yourself ?

Absolutely !  Ain't it cool?   I just took the sear off the lock, heated  and straightened the sear bar,  it was cooled by the time I had the torch put away.  No postage, no waiting, done in a quarter of an hour and back in the  lock.

My kind of  warranty repair   It's a kit, for cryin' out loud,  I expected to do some of the work.  Now I know how to repair a sear.   They should have charged me tuition.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:27:32 PM »
As long as you are happy  :P
Its good to learn how to fix things
I bought an L&R percussion lock from a supplier that had some issues and I corrected them to the best of my ability, I got it working so I thought until a broken sear notch prompted me to order some parts for it and my flintlock. When I ordered some spare parts from L&R a few days ago and while I was on the phone I mentioned my problem to the fellow with  the caplock. I now have a hand full of spare parts for my L&R Durrs Egg locks, most at no charge

They may need a little hand fitting but I like hand fitting

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
3-Hawks, I am so proud of you!

Just think..... a company as big as Traditions, trusting a person they have never seen, or know absolutely anything about, with such a delicate matter.

You must have somehow displayed your superior knowledge and abilities in the brief email you sent them.

The next time we get together, it is absolutely essential you clue me in as to how you mange such things!

:bow

YMH & OS

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »
Wow, I hope you don't have any plans to buy a defective nuclear device.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
Quote from: "Hank in WV"
Wow, I hope you don't have any plans to buy a defective nuclear device.

Well, ......................gee, ...................I hadn't.  

Up til' now.  

I wonder if a nuke has some part you can take off, heat up and straighten out?  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
You know , there are so many things wrong  with this .
 Yes I know its an easy fix . BUT  the point Is that you shouldn’t have had to fix it .
 Did you get a discount on the pistol because of the  bent sear arm ??? I bet no
 I don’t care if it was a kit or other . Straitening  bad parts is not the responsibility of the customer  be it in a kit or other .  The problem is   traditions bad quality control on that item .

Like I said , its an easy fix BUT what if you broke it ? That happens you know . Then what , would they have said , sorry , you broke it  now you have to buy a new one . Never mind you should not have had to mess with it in the first place .
I mean really   did some where in their instructions it stated that you needed a tourch  to heat and straiten some items ?
Bet not .  that sure makes me wonder about all those folks who buy such items  who dont have a shop or propain tourch  avalable

Now I could understand this if   they offered to replace it  but you  ask if there was a way to fix it  yourself and thus took on the responsibility  of what could happen . But to tell you to fix it yourself .
 To be honest , your right , I would have boxed it up , sent it back and told them either to refund your money or  properly go over all the parts and  return them to you in proper condition .
 I have to  ask what else is wrong with this piece that they did not catch . Especially if they missed something as easily seen as a bent sear arm .
 Is the breech properly seated ? How about the bolster . Is the TG also bent . Are the threads any good in the lock plate or trigger plate . was the sear put on the lock bent or  was it bent in shipping ?  is the lock plate also then warped ?

If they missed this sear arm , do you feel comfortable that they didn’t miss anything else ?

Again , I can understand you  wanting to know how to fix it  and I commend you for  actually doing the job . The knowledge you  have learned   is a great thing .
But the point  is , you did not pay the price you did  for the piece  so as you  would have to fix things such as this .
 Shape the stock yes , file  brass castings and polish , yes . Learn to brown or blue , yes .
 But none of that  has anything to do with fixing sub quality parts  such as the bent sear arm .
 Myself I have sent back L&R locks because the  sear did not engage correctly or the tumbler bridle was to over sized . Could I have fixed that myself ,,, yep sure , no problem . But I didn’t pay 120 bucks for a lock that  was not properly built in the first place .

Again komodo’s to you for fixing it . But I think the deeper lesson here is that traditions did not want to take the time to  fix a problem that originated  from their poor quality control . IMO the least they could have done was say ;  please send the lock back  Or  we can tell you how to straiten it  so it works . But we will send you a new sear out in the  main immediately, just in case you end up with any issues .   :|

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 01:36:11 AM »
This sort of reminds of my experience with the same pistol kit.I put it together and then tried to shoot it.I tried everything and I mean everything to try to get the thing to shoot with a reasonable degree of accuracy and consistency.After lengthy back and forth with Traditions turns out the barrel had not been properly inletted so the barrel was canted.I think there were other problems with the barrel .Traditions did eventually refund my money.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Charlie, Ive seen them come that way form the factory finished in the box!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)