Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Traditions Trapper Pistol Kit  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 12:02:57 PM »
Have always had excellent service with Traditions.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »
Like I said, it is a kit,  I consider a kit to be a box of parts.   The sear is repaired.  

The barrel appeared to be canted in the barrel channel.  That took me half an hour to  determin the problem and straighten it out.  The inlet itself was fine,  although a tad tightish on the sides of the barrel.  The tang had a burr in the hook relief and the hook had a burr that impinged on it.  A classic case of tolerance stacking.  A little candle soot to show where things were wrong, a few strokes of the file and all is hunkey dorey.

The wedge was too big for the wedge lug, a few minutes of "spotting" the lug with candle soot and filing off the soot marks and the wedge now slides into place with just enough resistance to stay put.   (I may slot the wedge and fit a retaining pin so I never have to worry abut losing it.  That's for later.)  The brass screws for the wedge escutcheons have found homes in  the junque box,replaced by oval head steel screws I fire blued.  The next thing is to turn and thread tang and lock bolts with "better" heads, the ones in the kit will work, but I just don't like 'em.   I'f getting itchy to begin load development so I don't think this pistol will get a poured nose cap.   A few more "fits" and the final sanding, staining, oiling and polishing and it will be "done".

Actually, I got a very good price from MidwayUSA, $207.00 shipped.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »
I've never actually owned a Traditions Trapper pistol myself,... but, I have put a few of the kits together for other people.
The one's I've sighted in (after installing different sights), were amazingly accurate (IMHO) off the bench, and fully capable of shooting 3"- 4" groups at 50 yards.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
I've had one for quite awhile, although it wasn't a kit. After I changed the front sight to suit me, it is a real tack-driver.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »
Here is a Trapper Pistol kit I finished last week.

[albumimg:2ltjnfpk]4131[/albumimg:2ltjnfpk] [albumimg:2ltjnfpk]4132[/albumimg:2ltjnfpk]
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley