Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: LUBING under barrel before pinning  (Read 650 times)

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
LUBING under barrel before pinning
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »
I think I should lube under the barrel, BEFORE pinning it in place.  Any suggestions? or is it even necessary.  Or what lube should I use?  Thanks
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Flint62Smoothie

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: #260 Exp.11/17/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »
I do and was taught it by a guy who knew Curly Gostomski and who was also a curator for the US Parks Dept.

I myself use blue-colored waterproof synthetic marine grease.  It is the bomb!  In fact, all outboard makers sell it, but the "Triple Guard" grease sold by OMC/Bombardier can be had for 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost of the SAME grease from the Jap companies.  And I know for a fact it all comes out of the same factory.  

When smeared in place and rubbed in, it will REPEL all water intrusion and protect metal like NOTHING else I know of.  But what do I know, I've only been boating in saltwater for 40+ years and this season my bros and I will be running ~7-8 boats with 11 OBs on them.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 03:09:15 PM »
What I've done on my rifles is to give the metal that's not exposed a double coat of Johnson's paste wax and renew it from time to time as it's convenient.

The barrel channel, inlets and inside of the stocks get a good coat of  boiled linseed oil thinned 50/50 with turpentine to do the same thing.   When I get a rifle, all the metal comes off, every bit of it, so the stock can get the thinned linseed oil on and in every nook and cranny including inside the wedge key channels, ramrod hole and screw holes.  Then it sets overnight to dry before reassembly.  Anyplace likely to get wet, like under the buttplate, gets a double coat.

I've never liked the idea of greasing wood.  Eventually the grease softens and degrades it.   But what do I know?   I only built and repaired wooden boats for 40 years and met  John Wayne when I replaced some planks in his 110' minesweeper, the Wild Goose.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »
I also use plain old JPW (Johnson Paste Wax) under the barrel of all my long guns, but John Wayne never came to visit....wish he had, we seem to have a lot in common when it comes to guns, and how other folks should be treated.

That being said, I have to say that JPW has many "practical" uses around the house including bullet lube, protectant for the occasional glass bedding job, even a little dab here and there on your rifle when hunting in the Rain Forest of the Olympic Peninsula....make that "used to hunt in the Rain Forest".

And before anyone asks, I'll say I have never tried it on my Corn Flakes, but who knows?

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline tall bear

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 05:43:42 PM »
I've always used bees wax.I heat the barrel up until the wax melts,coat with wax,install the barrel and buff off the top.It leaves it thick on the bottom flats.I don't treat the wood but if you wanted too you can dissolve the beeswax with terpentine until it's like vasilene,just apply and let dry.

Mitch
TMA Charter Member #30 7/1/09