Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Ramrod ? please  (Read 688 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
Ramrod ? please
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:27:37 PM »
I fitted my ramrod for my Tn. Mountain Rifle .32cal. It works real sweet down the bore. Trouble is it won`t stay put in the thimbles. I`m afraid of it slipping out on a hunt and loosing it or probably catchin` it in the dirt and snapping it putting my eye out and never gettin` to hunt again  :?
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
Its too straight.  If you can put a permanent bow in it, that will usually hold it in.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »
Mine is somewhat tapered so that it fits snugly in the hole in the stock.  I may try bowing my next one.
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline SimonG

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://hunterstavern.proboards.com/index.cgi
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:01:09 AM »
I have one that does that time to time, I gave it a wrap of masking tape right where it is under the top thimble, didn't take much and she sticks fine now.
TMA full member #419 expires 02/14/2010
http://hunterstavern.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:19:30 AM »
Quote from: "SimonG"
I have one that does that time to time, I gave it a wrap of masking tape right where it is under the top thimble, didn't take much and she sticks fine now.

is this method period correct  :lol:

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 11:17:01 AM »
Good question .
 There are many different ways to fix this issue . Most production companied  now place a tension spring  under the barrel . This is normally held in place by either the front lock bolt or the from barrel pin .
 This works but it requires having a cut out  to the RR channel  or as in some cases an exposed  length of the RR channel under the barrel .
Myself I don’t like this , but its how they do it .

Now most certainly one can  make a warp in the RR to help hold it in place . Basically  what’s being don is  the warp creates tension. Thus friction to hold it in place .

Here is what I do to  fix this issue when folks bring  me a rifle with this problem . It works with all RR , wood , brass , synthetic .
 Take a  a piece of  wood  .  Simple pine works  but hardwood  works better for this .
 Make a small sliver shim . not very long  just about ¼ or 3/8 is long enough .
 Take the entry thimble  off . If you don’t have one then  that’s ok to .
 Now  put the RR in place and fit the shim . You want it snug but not so snug that you cant get the RR out . Yet you want it snug enough that  you have to apply alittle presser to pull the RR .
 Once you have this made  and are satisfied . , glue it in place , just Inside the   entry hole .
 don’t push it so deep that you cant get to it  if sometime down the road , you need to replace it .
  Now replace the entry thimble and your good to go .
 If you don’t have an entry thimble , then  just put it about a ¼ inch back so it cant be seen .
  What this does is  but pressure against the rr . IE making a spot where the RR must go over  in order to slide past . Now you have a spot that creates the same friction as bending the rod . But it doesn’t look like you have a  FISH ON!!!!! Situation when you pull the road , granted that’s an exaggeration LOL
 But you get the point .
 The shim will last a very , very long time . I have one in a couple of my personal rifles , one has been there now for 17 years and is still working well .

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
Good question .
 There are many different ways to fix this issue . Most production companied  now place a tension spring  under the barrel . This is normally held in place by either the front lock bolt or the from barrel pin .
 This works but it requires having a cut out  to the RR channel  or as in some cases an exposed  length of the RR channel under the barrel .
Myself I don’t like this , but its how they do it .

Now most certainly one can  make a warp in the RR to help hold it in place . Basically  what’s being don is  the warp creates tension. Thus friction to hold it in place .

Here is what I do to  fix this issue when folks bring  me a rifle with this problem . It works with all RR , wood , brass , synthetic .
 Take a  a piece of  wood  .  Simple pine works  but hardwood  works better for this .
 Make a small sliver shim . not very long  just about ¼ or 3/8 is long enough .
 Take the entry thimble  off . If you don’t have one then  that’s ok to .
 Now  put the RR in place and fit the shim . You want it snug but not so snug that you cant get the RR out . Yet you want it snug enough that  you have to apply alittle presser to pull the RR .
 Once you have this made  and are satisfied . , glue it in place , just Inside the   entry hole .
 don’t push it so deep that you cant get to it  if sometime down the road , you need to replace it .
  Now replace the entry thimble and your good to go .
 If you don’t have an entry thimble , then  just put it about a ¼ inch back so it cant be seen .
  What this does is  but pressure against the rr . IE making a spot where the RR must go over  in order to slide past . Now you have a spot that creates the same friction as bending the rod . But it doesn’t look like you have a  FISH ON!!!!! Situation when you pull the road , granted that’s an exaggeration LOL
 But you get the point .
 The shim will last a very , very long time . I have one in a couple of my personal rifles , one has been there now for 17 years and is still working well .

Now that`s ingenuity.  :idea