The Center of Camp > The Campfire

Gun store "experts" say the silliest things

(1/5) > >>

Bigsmoke:
Carried over from another post.
Have you ever encountered questionable advice from so called experts at a gun store?  Share your stories here.  I'll go first.

I am not so sure that the "black powder guys" at sporting goods stores are always the people to be believed.
Case in point: Maybe 35 years ago, I went into a Big 5 store in Spokane, WA. Just for grins, I decided to play dumb (easy for me) and asked to see a T/C Renegade. I asked him a couple of questions about this and that, and finally pointed to the set trigger and asked him what the second trigger was about. That, he proclaimed, is your built in spare trigger. If the front one should happen to break, you always have the second one to rely upon.
True story.
I knew I couldn't hold on to my laughter too long, so I thanked him and walked quickly out of the store.

rollingb:
:rotf

I was also told by an "expert" (who worked in a sporting-goods store),.... that it is illegal to possess  blackpowder, so that's why they only stocked the "substitutes".  :laffing

I've been told many silly things by those type of "experts" over the years,.... and I'll post'em if I can remember'em.  

amm1851:
A few years back, after I had harvested a real nice tom turkey with my flintlock trade gun, I went into a local sporting goods store to purchase a second turkey tag. I happened to mention to the salesman I filled my first tag with a flinter, and he informed me all the serious muzzleloader hunters used inlines. I am guessing the turkey I killed thought I was pretty serious.  

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote from: "amm1851" ---A few years back, after I had harvested a real nice tom turkey with my flintlock trade gun, I went into a local sporting goods store to purchase a second turkey tag. I happened to mention to the salesman I filled my first tag with a flinter, and he informed me all the serious muzzleloader hunters used inlines. I am guessing the turkey I killed thought I was pretty serious.  :applaud  :bow

Uncle Russ...
--- End quote ---

Ironhand:
A few years ago I got a nice turkey with my J. Brown 20 ga trade gun. A friend who owns a gun store asked for a photo.  The next time I was in the store I saw it hanging on the wall.

When I asked him why. He said that every time he has some bozo complain about needing a bigger gun to kill a Tom he just points to the photo. He shuts down a lot of self proclaimed "experts" that way.  : :Doh!

Ironhand

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version