The Center of Camp > The Campfire

Gun store "experts" say the silliest things

<< < (2/5) > >>

Bigsmoke:
I remember back in the 1970's the owner of one of the local gun shops in Hayden, ID was out at the range watching one of our shoots.  Evidently, I must have flinched just identically in a 3 shot match I was in.  I think it was a pistol bull at 100 yards.  Shot offhand.  I put three shots in a group that could be covered with a half dollar.
He wanted to hang my target on the wall to show to centerfire shooters.
Some time after I happened to go by the shop and I asked him about it.  He said many good old boys scoffed at it and said it just couldn't be done.  When he told them he had been there to witness the event, they all just shut up.
IIRC, I think this was before I re-barreled my T/C Renegade.

Keb:

--- Quote from: "bigsmoke" ---I remember back in the 1970's the owner of one of the local gun shops in Hayden, ID was out at the range watching one of our shoots.  Evidently, I must have flinched just identically in a 3 shot match I was in.  I think it was a pistol bull at 100 years.  Shot offhand.  I put three shots in a group that could be covered with a half dollar.
He wanted to hang my target on the wall to show to centerfire shooters.
Some time after I happened to go by the shop and I asked him about it.  He said many good old boys scoffed at it and said it just couldn't be done.  When he told them he had been there to witness the event, they all just shut up.
IIRC, I think this was before I re-barreled my T/C Renegade.
--- End quote ---

Did you ever have to use that "spare" trigger on that T/C Renegade or is the 1st one still working?

Two Steps:

--- Quote ---Did you ever have to use that "spare" trigger on that T/C Renegade or is the 1st one still working?
--- End quote ---

Muley:
I had one guy tell me that if I don't use Powerbelts i'll never kill anything. I mentioned round balls have been used for centuries. He told me that round balls were only used to kill humans and hunters always used conicals.

I stopped talking to him at that point.

RobD:
away on vacation this past summer, wandering around in search of the elusive and nearly mythical over-the-counter real black powder whilst the wife did her shopping thing, i hit upon this semi-rural way northwest new yawk "sporting goods" store, and amble over to the "guns-r-us" section.  i'm paraphrasing a bunch, but the gist of it went like this ...

"naw, we don't sell no black powder.  but hey bud, you really wanna make meat this season, forget that old time crap, get you one of these here state-of-the-art modern in-line cannons, pop on one of these nikon high power scopes, load up the break action breech with power pellets and a barnes spitfire sabot boolit, and you'll fill yer freezer in no time - them 200 to 300 yard shots are a breeze"

really? umm, yeah, right, gotcha sparky ... SEE YA!  :Doh!  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version