Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Poor ignition with T-C PA Hunter

<< < (3/5) > >>

Bigsmoke:
OR
For guaranteed results, you could install a drum and nipple on the barrel and get one of L & R's RPL percussion locks.  It seems to work wonders.
Of course, I have no patience with flinters and have been shooting percussion guns since 1964.
John

Ohio Joe:
John makes a good point.

I like both cap and flintlock ML's, and to be honest - I've had way less fuss with the cappers, but I also truly enjoy the rock-locks. Both have their good and stubborn qualities. On the plus side for a flintlock (you'll most likely always be able to get flints / or make your own) - and on the percussion side, the caps seem to always go up in price (as do the flints, but not as crazy as caps do). We're lucky to have choices, that's for sure.  :shake

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote from: Bigsmoke on July 03, 2023, 03:23:54 PM ---OR
For guaranteed results, you could install a drum and nipple on the barrel and get one of L & R's RPL percussion locks.  It seems to work wonders.
Of course, I have no patience with flinters and have been shooting percussion guns since 1964.
John

--- End quote ---

Another thought that has crossed my mind is to just go for broke.  I think the PA Hunter is a beautiful rifle that does  somewhat of a resemblance to an english rifle.  So, I wonder how difficult it would be to ditch the stock breech plug and install an English style plug with a rain bar and a shotgun lock.  Of course, getting rid of the stock trigger and trigger guard would then be necessary and replace them with a nice English set.  Whoa, this is starting to get expensive.  Better stop where I am.
John (Bigsmoke)

Winter Hawk:
The new Lyman frizzen came in on Friday.  I got it fitted today, which meant that I had to take the Dremmel tool to the tongue which goes into the slot in the lock plate and make it a tad bit skinnier.  I tried first with a file but the frizzen steel was too hard.  Once it was on and working correctly the lock throws a bunch of bright yellow and white sparks, much better than the original frizzen.  I want to fire off a bunch of priming charges next, to see how consistent it is.  Then off to the range and give it the REAL test!   :luff:

Stay tuned!

~Kees~

Winter Hawk:

--- Quote from: Bigsmoke on July 03, 2023, 08:55:08 PM ---So, I wonder how difficult it would be to ditch the stock breech plug and install an English style plug with a rain bar and a shotgun lock.
--- End quote ---
John, If you notice, the smoothbore barrel was built with a standard, flat faced breech plug instead of a T-C "antechamber" one.  So this may be doable!

Frustration mounted again yesterday. Several days after installing the new frizzen I stood on the back porch and primed the pan and fired it off without a hitch, 12 times in a row.  Yesterday I went to shoot my July postal shoot targets and the reliability was GONE.  I reknapped the flint, changed the flint, wiped down the frizzen and pan for every shot and still had more failures to ignite the prime than the rifle going off.  I have ordered a new mainspring from Suzi at the Gun Works Emporium to see if that will improve things.  The other thought is that the since it is one of the old style locks, I may want to get the new style cock which is supposed to have better geometry.
We'll see....

~Kees~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version