Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Camp suggestions  (Read 2451 times)

Offline MeatStick

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Camp suggestions
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »
I don't do any of the reenactment stuff, but I do hunt and camp very basic with a 10x10 oiled canvas, 2 wool blankets, some twine and worry about finding what ever else I might need after I have shelter. I always say if you can't sleep on the ground, you're not that tired.
Party Like It's 1799

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
I like it!
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline Le Loup

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »
I carry the same equipment all the time, regardless of my mode of travel. That way if anything happens, I know I can carry out what I brought in. I use sticks for a bed & cover it with bracken if there is any. Here is a link to my video, "Making Camp".

Regards to all.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
 and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

A Woodsrunner's Diary

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 675
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 02:47:44 AM »
Quote from: "MeatStick"
I always say if you can't sleep on the ground, you're not that tired.

Its not the sleeping thats the hard part, im thinking of going pro, its getting up and being able to walk the next day. I used to be able to sleep in the back of a truck with no pad. Not any more. I need to be able to work when i get home not in traction.

If its not comfortable its not fun,  if it cant be seen it doesnt matter what you sleep on.
For us older guys i would recomend a twin sized air mattres and just let the air out in the morning.
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »
Quote from: "MeatStick"
I always say if you can't sleep on the ground, you're not that tired.

You won't always say that. :)
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
For us older guys i would recommend a twin sized air mattress and just let the air out in the morning.

BLASPHEMY!!! .... :lol:

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
My MAIN reason for going to a rendezvous is to put the lead ball on the target! Everything else is extra stuff. Although at the last event I was at I was selling off a bunch of un-needed stuff,(I did buy a 20X20 Marquie with a covered "porch"(what the heck was I thinkin'?),I have it down to what I need to be comfortable for up to 7 day's. The one thing I WONT give up is my bed!

I have a wooden take down twin size frame that hold's a top shelf posture-pedic mattress. I once shot a match in my "Pack in" day's,if it didn't fit in my pack basket,it didnt go,and I was competeing agains guy's who stayed at a hotel the night before in a big comfy bed,while I spent the night with EVERY lump and bump that was on that rock hard ground and creepy crawley there was!

The next on the chopping block was my kitchen. I carried enough crap to cook a meal for an army,and supply them. now just what is neccasary to feed me and the girl's(Magg's and Bella) for the weekend. Intant coffee,instant oatmeal and cream of wheat and such at most shoot's. At the juried AMM event's it's quite different,that's back to my basic "Pack in" day's! At least there EVERYONE is on the same playing feild!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 11:18:26 PM »
BLASPHEMY!!! ....

I know.

After 25 years on a forklift having my spine pounded into the bottom of my skull  i need a bed.  Also i need to use a CPAP to sleep.

Im thinking of buildng a hand cart/ wagon made out of my bed parts so ir breaks down from a hand cart to a bed.
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »
After 25 years on a forklift having my spine pounded into the bottom of my skull i need a bed. Also i need to use a CPAP to sleep.

Im thinking of buildng a hand cart/ wagon made out of my bed parts so ir breaks down from a hand cart to a bed.

I hear ya Brother...When ya get that hand cart/bed made you could sell the plans to the rest of us old coots... :laffing
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 05:01:00 AM »
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 03:41:43 AM »
Quote from: "Longhunter"
After 25 years on a forklift having my spine pounded into the bottom of my skull i need a bed. Also i need to use a CPAP to sleep.

I hear ya Brother...When ya get that hand cart/bed made you could sell the plans to the rest of us old coots... :laffing

That would be a Travois. Spacers near each end. Leather straps to hold it tight, or just a blanket in a tube shape. Kind of a marriage between the traditional travios and a folding cot.

And, a big dog to pull it.

this should give you some idea.

http://www.womenofthefurtrade.com/wst_page16.html
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.