Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What's Your Thoughts On L&R Flintlocks?  (Read 1035 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: What's Your Thoughts On L&R Flintlocks?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
Sure am sorry to hear of the decline if quality for the L & R locks.
We used them for several years on our big bore rifles and always had excellent results.
Frankly, I have been away from the gun building market since 2005 and have not really kept up much contact with that part of the muzzleloading world, having been most interested in powder horn building.
Well, so it goes, I reckon.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Mike Brooks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.thegunmaker.com
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »
Maybe I just got a bum lock, I don't very often use L&R locks so that could be the case. They do now use a forged mainspring instead of the cast ones they used to use. I understand that casting flaws from the casting factory made it near impossible to get a mainspring that wouldn't fail after some use. The forged main spring seems to work well, but I'm not sure it would change out to replace an old cast spring with out a little wood removal in your lock inlet. Maybe it would, you'd have to try it and see I guess, wouldn't take much to fit it.
 I had a fowling gun that I used their Queen Anne lock on. It was a champ of a lock, fast and dependable and I got 140 shots out of a flint once. Only problem was a broke frizzen spring that they replaced for free. Also, they replaced my worn frizzen for free at that time too. I kept the worn one on the gun and kept the new replacement in case the  worn one quit working. Probably had around 8,000 rounds out of that gun or more. Used it for skeet and sporting clays.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »
the chris walker smooth rifle i just sold has a davis colonial american 2 screw lock, another goodie for sure.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Food for thought for sure.  Glad to hear L&R switch their mainspring manufacturing.

BTW; nice coyote shot, Mike!  Luck, or not... :lt th
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
Sure am sorry to hear of the decline if quality for the L & R locks.   .... <snip!>

i find that very hard to believe and before ya know it, *some* folks reading this thread may unfairly forge a black mark on L&R locks.  

L&R, davis, chambers, and surely others - these reputable name brand folks will all stand by their products, they'd be complete fools not to since their market is a small niche sport and they're all in a competition of sorts.  i'd give 'em all a fair opportunity to back up their offerings and take care of their customer's product issues.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 01:59:49 PM »
Quite right Rob!  :lt th

Offline Mike Brooks

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
Just trying to pass along my personal experience as a lot of locks go through my hands. As I mentioned, I could have just got a bum lock. When you get your lock take a good look at it, if it fits your needs I'd use it. I've had locks from the Rifle Shoppe that are cast from originals that were made with out interior bridles and the tumblers had the wobbles yet they're still going strong!

Back in the 80's all the competitive shooters liked the L&R locks because of their short hammer throws and generally smaller lock size which made them pretty fast. I thought they were great locks and they have always had great customer service if you have trouble. Now there is a lot of competition from other lock makers and that gives all of us an incredible amount of choices. All seems good to me. :rt th

Offline Mike Brooks

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »
Quote from: "Rob DiStefano"
the chris walker smooth rifle i just sold has a davis colonial american 2 screw lock, another goodie for sure.

That is a great lock too, I have probably used 1/2 dozen of them since they came out...probably more. It's really fast for a big lock and is dependable. I think the internals are the same as their Jeager lock.  I ordered one from TOTW last week for a jeager rifle I want to build for myself this winter. I just got the barrel from Bobby Hoyt, Swamped 25" .58 cal with a 1 in 34 twist. All of the original jeagers I have handled all have one twist in the length of the barrel I was too chicken to go with a 1 in 25 so Hoyt suggested a 1 in 34 instead. I'm trying to figure out what the old timers knew and we forgot.....fast twist with a big ball and short barrel....doesn't make much sense today, but I'm going to figure it out. I'm thinking lightish powder charge and a very tight patch/ball combo something like a 50 yard masher..... We'll see!
This will be the 3rd gun I have built for myself this past year. I got tired of never having a ML to shoot so I vowed to fix that problem....now I can't stop! :laffing

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 04:47:27 PM »
Mike, I haven't built myself a new rifle in I don't know how long? I know the feeling, but I'm only going to do one more for myself... :shake

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 04:58:55 PM »
Quote from: "Ohio Joe"
..... I'll use the Bailes capper for a new build for my grandson when he's a bit older. Least ways that's the plan. :bl th up  :salute  

oh, wait,  :rofl   :shake

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 11:46:36 PM »
I don't have a problem with them!

FlPerc by Sharps Man, on Flickr
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"