Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The other project  (Read 10726 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Re: The other project
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2021, 12:15:34 AM »
Soon,the only thing left is stock finish and the buttplate and wedge plate inlays i just reassembled the lock, [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2021, 08:34:57 PM »
Well I put the first shot of oil on it( Tru oil)after a red stain over the AF ,I like it,my wife don’t,she says it’s too red, [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  I used no flash and of course I had th advantage of seeing it with the lock in and the rust blue complements the red or offsets it but ,to me,it looks good. I also included a view of my soon to be ,newest horn project!,I found it in the “Reduced”aisle at Tractor Supply ,thought it could be ,if nothing else,an interesting project. [ Invalid Attachment ]

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2021, 02:34:43 AM »
I tend to agree with your wife as I've never been overly fond of reddish stained stocks, I much prefer brown (even to the point of being nearly black :o).
I used to own a 20 ga. fowler that had a cherry stock that I used walnut stain on, and I did like it with it's hint of red showing (just a tiny bit) through the walnut stain.  :bl th up

I think you're gonna have your hands full with that horn.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2021, 06:59:10 AM »
Yeah,I’m not sure how I’m gonna swing that horn but I am gonna try.....something...lol.as far as the stock ,my intention from the start was red brown.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2021, 07:16:46 AM »
I guess that's what makes the world go round. I tend to agree with shooterj2003. I've built several red rifles and still have two of them.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2021, 10:46:32 AM »
as far as the stock ,my intention from the start was red brown.
[/quote]
 Well I think you achieved your goal.
 I like it.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2021, 02:55:54 PM »
Thanks for this amazing "blow by blow" and a near-tutorial one at that.  I have one very red rifle that's gotten several complimentary comments over the years.  No, I didn't build it, though.  I like the reddish stock and have one rifle with a brownish cast & red highlights.  You're doing really good.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2021, 09:42:13 PM »
I have three coats of tru oil on it now and did not take more pics tonight but  am stuck on it and can’t wait to put it together put a French amber flint in the lock to try it and she seems to spark quite well.
Thank you for the complement Hanshi ,I appreciate everyone’s help and support.it helped that I had some experience working on other guns as well as b p kits  but it was a learning experience,can’t wait for the next one,that would be that Fowler.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2021, 12:48:49 AM »
I had mentioned in one post I had made wedge plates(escutcheons) from silver quarters,and I did but they just weren’t very well done and  inletted only one side for them, so I caved and ordered 4 nickel ones from TOW,something went awry and I only ordered 2 ,so I had to make 2 to match these,practice helps as these 2 looked and were much better ,I used a Mexican50 centavo and a Barbados quarter ( think) and thier alloy matched the nickel color ,I bought them at a yard sale 4 coins for a dollar ,I bought 16,he also had lead rods 2 for a dollar ,they were about a foot long and 1/2” thick ,I did not need lead but bought some. Anyway I kind of got ahead of myself by finishing before I was fully inletted and also had to make sure the new escutcheons would at least cover the two old inlets ,they will...just.lucky.
   I had to have a way to finish ,sand and polish these so I made a tool maybe some f you guys and maybe gals  could use,took me awhile to think it up as my fingernails are wearing down ! [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
 I also figured to send you better pics of the stock,it’s not quite as red as the first pic seems to look.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2021, 11:19:53 PM »
Pretty stock,.... the color closely resembles what we used to call "golden oak".  :applaud  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2021, 08:56:46 PM »
Somehow trying to improve a wedge plate inlay (actually incurable left it alone)but a dent appeared in stock and finish at wedge got muddied so best fix was to strip the entire stock down to bare stained wood and steamed 2 spots and touched up the stain color,now I am back at 2 coats Tru oil hoping the new finish will help the oversized inlet a bit otherwise someday I may make 4 bigger wedge plates to fix it OR 1 very slightly bigger one but the human eye is not easily fooled,and the craftsman’s memory always sees the cold hard truth! I think my inletting ability is improving but I guess fate serves us an occasional piece of humble pie we must choke on to remind us of the proper way to do things.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2021, 12:03:58 AM »
Stripped it again the Tru oil just was not turning out for me,and after two strips I got tired of it,I decided to go with something I’ve wanted to try and it worked nicely,I used min wax wiping poly ,five coats satin and it looks really good ,I won’t bore you you with more pictures til I assemble it tomorrow ,bassicly everything’s done but the ramrod.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2021, 07:12:44 AM »
Stripped it again the Tru oil just was not turning out for me,and after two strips I got tired of it,I decided to go with something I’ve wanted to try and it worked nicely,I used min wax wiping poly ,five coats satin and it looks really good ,I won’t bore you you with more pictures til I assemble it tomorrow ,bassicly everything’s done but the ramrod.

That's interesting. I recently just refinished a rifle stock and decided to try something new since I had the stain on hand, and I went with a dark walnut Danish oil followed by a coat of dark walnut Min Wax, and it turned out very nice. Took several days to dry, but it turned out nice. I only let the Danish oil set on the wood 30 minutes - then hand rubbed the stock - then followed that with the Min Wax. After at least 3 days of drying - I once again hand rubbed the stock and that's where she's a gonna stay. (Though I may put a coat of tru-oil on it. As of now it doesn't appear to need it)...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2021, 12:09:13 PM »
I generally have no problems with tru oil , I guess it just meant to be different,I finished the rifle this morning it is now all assembled ,a couple small dings in the finish and a last minute” didn’t figure on that moment “and I changed from screws in the wedge plates too brass tacks when the wedge knocked out a wedge plate upon installation,those little screws only hold the plates barely with no problems anyway ,I adjusted the plate hole and the edge tip then tacked the plate in.this was an original plan that got scrapped for the screws that were a pain in the rear and in my opinion too short and unavailable in longer size so it worked out,! [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  well I made mistakes ,learned lessons and fixed boo boos   Hopefully the next one will be less problematical ,but this one will be special and is mine now.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2021, 02:22:48 PM »
I think it looks good! Good Job!!!  :hairy

On those side plates, I feel you did the right thing. On the side plates I've done in the past for pins rather than a wedge, I did use little brass brads / pre-drilled a very small hole in the wood and squirted some super glue down the holes (as best I could) before driving them home. Have never had a side plate come loose yet when tapping out a pin.

I like it! You did good!!!  :toast
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska