Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: H&A Underhammer  (Read 1343 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
H&A Underhammer
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »
Well, I was invited to a living history event this weekend and it was quite a time, 15-20 camps and a round robin that lasted over two hours. This happened pretty easily and I have always wondered about "them"!
If anyone can offfer a good bad or otherwise with direct experiance, it would be appreciated. Its a .45 with a 00xxx ser number, from NJ.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Mike Brooks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.thegunmaker.com
Re: H&A Underhammer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
I  have one of those in kit form that was never put together. It's a .36. I have seen people shooting these with big target barrels at Friendship.  Unfortunately the hammer sear notch is soft on mine and needs hardened. I probably ought to take it to the local gun shop and get rid of it as I'll never get around to doing anything with it.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:40:17 PM »
I've got a .45 Heritage model H&A underhammer.  I've killed deer, squirrels and bobcats with it and it has been shot so much the original flat trigger/hammer/tg spring died and won't function any longer.  I've tried a couple other springs that were given to me but they were pretty much dead when I received them.  I've had this rifle since the mid 1960s and it still has much sentimental value to me; we've had so many adventures together.  A shame because it is so extremely accurate and would make teeny, tiny groups beyond 60 yards.  The bore is still pristine.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »
Thanks Hanshi! What twist did yours have?
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:23:28 PM »
Quote from: "Hanshi"
I've got a .45 Heritage model H&A underhammer.  I've killed deer, squirrels and bobcats with it and it has been shot so much the original flat trigger/hammer/tg spring died and won't function any longer.  I've tried a couple other springs that were given to me but they were pretty much dead when I received them.  I've had this rifle since the mid 1960s and it still has much sentimental value to me; we've had so many adventures together.  A shame because it is so extremely accurate and would make teeny, tiny groups beyond 60 yards.  The bore is still pristine.

That spring can be re-tempered.

H&A's have a warm spot in my heart too.

Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 11:51:52 PM »
Well I went and tried out the underhammer and was very happy. I used ..440 rb, 40 g FFF and a .016 ticking patch lubed with Hoppes BP+. I forgot to take a pix of the target but out of 5 shots, 3 were touching. 25 yrds benched.  Not bad for a capper :laffing
Smooth loading and smooth shooting, and a real nice trigger. Surprised!
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 11:56:55 AM »

When shooting, remember to take care that a spent (hot) cap doesn't drop down inside the sleeve of your forward arm.    :Doh!  

FWIW, I always tightly buttoned my cuffs when shooting my .36 H&A Heritage.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 12:50:06 PM »
Ridjrunr, it had a gain twist barrel.  Not sure of the actual rot but it shot super well.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.