Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Traditions drum replacement??

(1/2) > >>

Sean McKown:
I havent fully committed to this yet, but how about the possibilty of replacing the drum on a traditions kentucky. What would the threads be?  does someone make an aftermarket drum in the proper thread?  would it be possible to get a us made drum and drill out the stock threads and retap? Im open to suggestions, I really want to make the nipple 1/4-28, but I think I boo booed,  on the retapping of that.  I am open to suggestions.    Sean

Three Hawks:
There's nothing there that is rocket science.   Simply remove the existing drum and measure the threads.  If you don't have the tools or expertise there is likely a machine shop or gunsmith nearby who can do it.  Once you know the diameter and pitch, start looking in Track of The Wolf, Log Cabin Shop, Dixie Gun Works or other catalogs.  If there's a muzzleloading shop near you, try there.

If you can only find a drum that's pre-drilled for the nipple, It may or may not line up with the hammer when it bottoms on the barrel.  I have had decent luck chucking 'em in a drill motor and filing down the bottom of the drum until it comes tight just as the nipple aligns with the hammer.  It's a cut and try process requiring patience.

Good luck,

Three Hawks

ridjrunr:
I am pretty shure that thread is 10x1.25.Just take the old drum and go to hardwhare store and check threads there.Home depot has a thread checker gage so may Lowes.ridjrunr

Wyoming Mike:
The Traditions drum threads extend all the way through the breechplug and has a long flash channel with a hole that has to line up with the barrel.   I was going to switch a CVA pistol, with the same breech design as the Traditions.  I had wanted to change it to flint and thought to just remove the drum and put in a CVA touch hole liner.

Couldn't do it.  The threaded drum hole was way too big for any touch hole liner made.  You would probably find that a conventional drum would have the same problem.  I just buttoned it back up and kept it as percussion.  

Later Captchee converted one into flint.  As I remember he cut the drum and filed it flush with the barrel and and tapped the inside of the drum channel to take a touch hole liner.  You would probably have to do the same thing for a different drum.

It would be easier to order a new drum from Traditions or Deer Creek and replace it whole.

Riley/MN:

--- Quote from: "Sean McKown" --- I am open to suggestions.
--- End quote ---

How about this?

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... php?t=8587

Reminds me...I have some work to get back to...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version