Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

old barrel

(1/2) > >>

ridjrunr:
This question concerns whether or not using an oil with a detergent, like ATF to soak a barrel with( pour it full in the bore), would in any way harm the barrel, or the finish on the barrel. THat is if of course the barrel is out of the stock.I have done this on an old cruddy jukar barrel and it worked great( it dissolved the rust great).But,....how about a gun that is say 140 yrs old w/ a stuck nipple and a dirty bore that looks as though it may clean up.?Also, what might one expect for a thread size for the nipple on such a gun.Thanx for any help,ridjrunr

Captchee:
MMM ? good question . the barrel should be  iron or iron welded if its that old .
 the oil itself  wont hurt it but the real question would be the detergents.
 Frankly I have never thought about it dan . On one hand it should hurt anything . But on the other had  the detergents are going to go where the oil does  so what will they do to Iron or  early types of steel .

Frankly I am thinking you would be ok . I have used about anything and everything to get corrosion out of old barrels  to include , red devil and even automotive rust removers   . But I have never thought about ATF before ?
 Frankly I just don’t know . Good question , lets see what folks say

Stryker:
ridjrunr,
I use a homemade concoction called Ed's Red and it contains ATF. The "recipe" is very simple. It is equal parts ATF (Dexron 3), Deodorized kerosene, Acetone and Aliphatic Mineral Spirits. I bought a quart of each and an new empty paint thinner can at the hardware store and just poured everything into the paint thinner can. You don't need a paint thinner can, but what ever you use just make sure it seals tight.

I found out about this stuff when I was into milsurp rifles. I have cleaned up some of the nastiest rifles with this stuff to where the bore shines again. I mix up just some of the ATF and Kerosene and keep it in an old CLP bottle for a gun oil. I even use it on my flinters. After I clean with water, and dry the bore I run a couple of lightly lubed patches down the bore. I think it works great.

ridjrunr:
ok,thanx guys.I figured it would probably be ok but wanted another opinion.Now I need to get brave enough to drive the pin out and get the barrel off the stock.Hopefully when I start tapping the pin, I'll see it moving out the other side and not bending!!Shoould be ok.How about the nipple thread size?  ridjrunr

Gambia:
Question
What type of barrel is it a rifle or smoothbore ,is it American or European .
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version