Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Nekkid thumbplate

(1/2) > >>

Kermit:
I've got a totally unadorned nickel-silver thumbplate on my walnut stocked early Virginia .54 flinter, and I still can't decide what to get engraved thereon. I'm reluctant to monogram it with my initials, since I have been known to eventually sell guns--although in this case it will likely be my daughter who has to make that decision.

Are there PC issues here? What do you have on yours?  

Capt. Jas.:
There are many originals that have no engraving on the wrist escutcheons so leaving it blank would be OK.

How about just some chip border type engraving around the edges?

If it goes to your children, then your complete initials would be a good legacy and just the surname initial is good.

Coats of arms were also used by the wealthy that had them. Unfortunately there are very few individuals who qualify for a coat of arms today.

My son had his 3 initials on his gun. I will be doing the same.

Some would say the nickel content could be the most PC issue.

Uncle Russ:
I don't see anything wrong with "Nekkid"...I'm sure most of us have spent considerable time thinking, "what I am going to do with this Plain Jane looking thing?".... and I would bet that few have gone further than just thinking about it.....

Having said all that, I am once again thinking about matching the thumbplate with a similar "whatever" on the side plate done by our own Captchee....but, then again, Plain Jane or nekkid just ain't all that bad either.

Sorry I couldn't offer something more positive but, to me, it's one of those personal things, if ya know what I mean..

Uncle Russ...

RichW:

--- Quote from: "Capt. Jas." ---Coats of arms were also used by the wealthy that had them. Unfortunately there are very few individuals who qualify for a coat of arms today.
--- End quote ---

The fact that few were entitled to coats of arms never stopped anyone in Colonial America from using them... including a guy from Virginia named Washington.  

Capt. Jas.:
Correct Rich. My comment was more for those of us today to keep from being duped by money grubbers. Wanted to point out a fact as many people have been swindled by being sold "information" on their fake family crest. There are businesses that spcialize in such.

regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version