Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Remington Navy models

<< < (2/3) > >>

Winter Hawk:
Cool!  After you have perused them and found out what the difference is, be sure to update this thread so we can all join you in knowledge!

~Kees~

Jim in Wisconsin:
Those books are both real good, I've learned at least some stuff so far (summer projects get in the way).
 It seems like the frame size difference has to do with the cylinder length. The opening in the frame has to fit that length.
 A new model 44 has a 2 inch cylinder, and the 36 belt models are 1 7/8 long, but the navy (36 cal) regular models are 2 inches, so I think the frame for them would be the same as the 44.
The barrels for the 44 are 8 inches and the 36 cal. barrels are 7 3/8.
My Uberti 36 has these dimensions, so maybe they are fairly close to the originals.

Jim in Wisconsin:
I just thought of another difference - the 36 cal. navys have a loading plunger of that diameter all the way back, which means that the hole in the frame is also small like that.
The Uberti navy has a plunger with the end turned down smaller but the rest is 44 size. I suppose that part of the frame isn't correct then.
I would love to have an original of each!

Bigsmoke:
Jim, all that takes is availability and money.
Good luck.
John (Bigsmoke)

PetahW:

Once upon a time, the US Army ordered .44cal C&B revolvers.

When the US Navy ordered, .36cal was specified.

To differentiate them at a glance, the .36 Navy cylinders were engraved with a naval scene.

IIRC, the frames were all the same size, so the smaller bore made for a slightly heavier revolver due to the barrel thickness greater than the .44 barrels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version