Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rice 32cal  (Read 501 times)

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
Rice 32cal
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
Are any of the TMA brothers here shooting a Rice 32cal barrel with round bottom rifling? I'm nearing completion with mine and would like to know the loads you've been successful with. Specifically patch and ball combo's. Thanks,  Buzzard
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Rice 32cal
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
I'm shooting .312 ball,pillow tick with spit patch and 30grs of 3f. Quarter covers the 50yd group. Mine a 44" "A" weight,I also coned the muzzle.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:16:42 PM »
Quote from: "Buzzard"
Are any of the TMA brothers here shooting a Rice 32cal barrel with round bottom rifling? I'm nearing completion with mine and would like to know the loads you've been successful with. Specifically patch and ball combo's. Thanks,  Buzzard

How about some pictures Buzzard?
You fellas build all these nice rifles and I never get to see any of 'em......it just ain't right!

Can't answer you question, but I have had several sweet little "Three-Two" and my load was the same as Path's......312ball, tick patch, and 30gr FFFg Goex....I suspect I somehow thought that was a universal load of sorts, not sure why, but it surely worked well in all my little Three-Two guns.

I have heard lots of good things about that rifling, even got to shoot a few with the Rice barrels and that
nice round bottom rifling, but I've never owned one. Almost, but it didn't happen.
Can't remember his name right now, but he lived in Shelton, he was a doctor, and he always "preached" the Rice barrel with the round bottom rifling.
Sir Michael, Beaverman, and Puffer all know who I'm talking about, he's at Monroe every year. I just can't remember the name right now.
Anyway, shortly before I left over there he two had guns with that barrel, one in .45 and one in .54....I was moving at the time and didn't buy one of 'em. I suspect I have regretted that for the past 6 plus years!!

Don't forget some pictures!

Thanks, Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:07:22 AM »
i have the exact same barrel as Pathfinder on my squirrel rifle,also coned. i shoot a hand rolled .310 ball a .10 linen patch over 25gr's of Goex fff,at 30 to 40 yards it will keep them all inside a half dollar size circle. head shots,head shots,head shots,i love this rifle. :)
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
Path; about how thick is your ticking? Most i've bought around here runs .016-.018. That sounds like a purty tight load yer runnin'!

Uncle Russ; how ya doin ya ole coon? Sorry Sir, but there'll be no pics. This computer is older than you, and my wife invented it, LOL. I just ain't that far up the ladder with this techno stuff yet. Maybe someday!

David32; your combo sounds closer to what i had in mind, a tight thumb start. This is my first round bottom rifling barrel and wasn't sure about patching and how it will fill out the grooves. And yes fellows, i will cone the muzzle in the fashion of Mike Miller, i think! A very small mousetail file straight down the lands to produce a flower petal effect at the crown. I've had very good success with this coning in the past, making for a snug load that can be started with the ramrod from a block.
Thanks for the info guys, will be waiting to hear more.   Buzzard
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
I think you're gonna like that Rice barrel Jeff. I've built a number of rifles using them. They're sweet shooters. They start grouping right away with no break-in and with round bottoms, they're easy to clean. Hope to get to see yours next May at the ONW.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
All else be'in equal, my dear friend, it'll be at the shoot, for sure. I might even use it in the match, if nothing else, just to give Ole' "Al 'big bore' Two Steps" a chance. Also, I think we all ought to make up our own rules this year. Our good friend Jingles is gettin a might bit out o' hand. LOL. Eighth toe from the left touchin the middle of the right stake at the point where the poison ivy is!! Ya Gotta Love a bushway like that? I'm thinkin, every man for himself, or somethin like that. Never know when them redcoats might show up. Or Elsie finds a different kind'o boyfriend! Can you spell "Angus". Gotta watchout for #1 ya know. AND, Mrs. Nobber WILL remain the camp COOK!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the barrels, do you notice any difference in patch and ball combo's and/or cleaning issues when compared to standard square bottom rifleing.  These types of discussions are  how we all learn from each other. Even if our campfires are a little ways apart.

On another note, i know were all hunters here, or you'd better be. Were all in the same circle of life, but i hope at least for the first year, our "Blessing at Station Three" made it though the season without a hitch.      Many thanks,  Buzzard
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
Big Bore??...Come on Buzz, gimme a break here.  I was using a 48" Rayl .40cal last year.  No idea what this year will bring  ;)
I've never owned a Rice Bbl, but I would like to...only heard good about them?
Btw...I hope the little guy made it through ok too...
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
Al, i was rememberin the 50cal half stock ya carried the year before. Didn't think about yer 40, my bad. BTW, Merry Christmas, my friend.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016