Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shootin' Shot  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 06:54:10 AM »
Try Track of the Wolf for your components. They should have them all.

Your best be for the shot might be local hunting shops that carry reloading supplies. In Virginia, we have a large private owned hunting and fishing store near Richmond called Greentop. They have carried larger hunting shot by the bag in the past.
Track might also carry smaller poundages of shot in your size but it will be more expensive than buying by the 25 pound bag.

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 10:22:22 AM »
Concur with Track for cards. Carry also at other places, but Track is cheapest.

Capt - sounds like you're in the Richmond area. If that's true you need to swing out at come by the range on a shoot day - we're close by just off of 460.

http://www.jamesriverblackpowderclub.org/

We just had monthly shoot last Sat. Good turn out and great weather.

Plan is for next shoot to set up and shoot some clays over on the side range after the normal shoot. Bring your lunch and come burn some powder!

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »
Mike,
I am in Appx.
I usually dont get down around to Greentop except when shooting sporting at Old Forge.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:10 AM »
I use about the same set up .
 IE 2 over the powder cards .
 What I do is load the first one dry , the second one   I hold in my mouth  while loading the first card . This wets the second card .  
 What you will have to do is work a load  up to find what gives you the best pattern .
 A Wad / cushion is just that . It cushions the shot column on ignition .
 This is basically why   wet the second card , so as to give some cushion to the shot ..

As to cards . Now and then I buy a bag . But  what I do most of the time , is make my own . Harbor freight sells a  punch set . ToW also used to sell the correct sized punches.
 For my wads  in my 62 I use a spent C02 cylinder , just cut the big end off . Then file it to a sharp edge . Drill out the small end so as to accept a nail . That way you  can push the wads out .
 I cut my wads from horse hair carpet pad  then soak them in   melted toilet bowl  wrings .
  I do this also with RB through my smoothbore .
 Now over the powder cards , just the wad , right on the powder . Drop the ball in  and then place an over the shot card to hold it .
 I get better accuracy then with a patch  and it  doesn’t foul as bad

As to shot . If you don’t mind  screening it for size , stop by a local trap club and get your name on the list for when they do a reclaiming . Normally they will sell it to you cheep
 I then bring the  shot home and dump it through a screen  that will only alow #7 or smaller shot to fall through . A simple flower sifter works great for this
   The bigger shot I melt down  into ingots for RB

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Jas."
Mike,
I am in Appx.
I usually dont get down around to Greentop except when shooting sporting at Old Forge.

That's only around 2-hours. About the same for my Dad and I from Virginia Beach.

You definately need to swing out for the Bob Lee State Championship Oct 10-12 if nothing else.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
Used to come down for the Bob Lee State with Jim Hash when I was a teenager.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »
I'm blessed with a great gunshop close by, and they have whatever shot I need. If you have to mailorder, have you tried Midway?

As to wads/cards, I carry only the overshot cards. Two over the powder, one over the shot. Spit for lube, only the second and third cards. I poke a hole in each and every card, and make 'em about 1/3 off center. Chances of those two holes landing in the same spot over the powder are slim enough to not concern me. I do sorta pay attention to the orientation for card one and card two. The hole in the card over the shot is of no consequence.

I've never read anything to show me that my patterns are any way better or that more clays die if one uses all those other wads/cards or super new-millenium lubes. I've been loading shot this way for longer than I can remember. Who was that old feller I read decades back who tested loads and shot columns and determined that the One Card system was best?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »
Mario you said...

"I use a "turd".  

Simply a bore sized paper cartridge with my shot charge in it. When rammed down, a little pop spreads it enough that it stays put. Dip it in lube beforehand. It also helps keep your pattern tighter. "

What kind of paper? Will newsprint work?
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA