Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Here she is be boys !  (Read 2035 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Here she is be boys !
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2023, 03:55:34 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2023, 08:07:00 PM »
rob, you got the coolest stuff.
 any details you'd like to share
kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2023, 08:21:48 PM »
Peep sights have been around since at least the 16th century (and earlier, so I've been told) but rare as hens teeth for the 18th century, so not period/era correct for a 1760s Woodsrunner.  I dunno if it'd be deemed legal in many or any matches, probably considered the same as a rear sight on a smoothbore for smoothbore matches - not allowed.

Got the peep sight from member "Tom A Hawk" on the muzzleloading forum, $83/shipped.

Online KDubs

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2023, 08:27:05 PM »
Well pc or not I like it.
  [ Invalid Attachment ]
My old ticking patches and the new 8oz duck canvas with the special super secret beaver milk lube.
 Here they will sit until I can shoot sometime next week.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2023, 08:45:42 PM »
 A rear peep off the tang and a front blade are arguably world's better than a rear buckhorn or notch.  Thing is, the top tip of the blade must be on the target whilst the peep encircles it perfectly, thus setting both the elevation and windage.  The blade tip is not as perfect as an aperture, so there's gonna be some fudge room.  This is where a vernier rear tang aperture sight and a spirit globe aperture front sight rule to 1000 yards (but both or either are SO period/era incorrect within the 18th century ... until ya get into the 3rd quarter of the 19th century, when the breech plug became a cartridge).

Dang, SO busy, haven't had a moment to get back to work on the cherry Woody.   :o

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2023, 12:40:39 PM »
Peep sights have been around since at least the 16th century (and earlier, so I've been told) but rare as hens teeth for the 18th century, so not period/era correct for a 1760s Woodsrunner.  I dunno if it'd be deemed legal in many or any matches, probably considered the same as a rear sight on a smoothbore for smoothbore matches - not allowed.

Got the peep sight from member "Tom A Hawk" on the muzzleloading forum, $83/shipped.
Except for our postal matches I don't see me shooting any competition, so having a peep sight will be great.  I have had peeps on my unmentionable rifles since I started shooting them in the mid 1960s.  My first BP rifle was a Numrich Arms H&A Heritage underhammer which came with the coolest tang peep sight.  Elevation was by screwing the post up or down, windage was adjusted by loosening the aperture disk and sliding it left or right, and it had three different sized apertures on a spring-loaded, indexed plate you rotated up or down to the hole you wanted.  Looked like a lollipop sticking up but it was just neat!

Thanks for the info on Tom A Hawk.  I think I have his information somewhere; doesn't he also sell flint & steel kits?

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2023, 01:41:08 PM »
Well pc or not I like it.
  [ Invalid Attachment ]
My old ticking patches and the new 8oz duck canvas with the special super secret beaver milk lube.
 Here they will sit until I can shoot sometime next week.
Kevin

Super Secret? your more than welcome to share that recipe with anybody, hope it works well for you!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"