Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Options for a reliable, relatively inexpensive first flintlock  (Read 1472 times)

Offline rodentrancher

• TMA Forum Member
Options for a reliable, relatively inexpensive first flintlock
« on: December 01, 2023, 05:30:23 PM »
Been happily shooting a caplock rifle for a while now, and want to give flintlocks a try. Just for fun at this point, not competition or hunting, but I do want something that is reasonably accurate with a patched round ball, and that will reliably go bang (almost) every time I pull the trigger. From what I've read here and the links I've followed, a possible problem with the less expensive reproductions is the quality of the locks. While I don't greatly care about style, I'm definitely willing to spend a bit more for reliability.

So, I'm chewing over a couple of options:

#1 - Buying an Investarms rifle and a L&R replacement lock. Just figure on replacing the lock right off the bat;

#2 - Buy a Kibler kit. This could give me a much nicer rifle, as long as I don't screw up assembling and finishing the kit. Of course, this option would cost more. Also, I'm a little intimidated by the idea of building the kit - I have no experience doing this sort of thing, and I'm not the handiest guy around.

Opinions on either option would be welcome. Any other options for a good flintlock for under, say $1500, would also be welcome.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Options for a reliable, relatively inexpensive first flintlock
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 06:02:06 PM »
I don't think there is any question. Get the Kibler. I've seen 7 or 8 of them so far and every one looked great and was accurate and welcome to the forum. I have to admit I'm a bit curious about your screen name.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 06:07:41 PM »
Yep, my opinion.... just bite the bullet and get the Kibler woodsrunner, easiest of his kits to assemble, check out his you tube channel and the woodsrunner build along vids he has up, basically some filing, sanding, stain and metal finish, you'll have a quality LR for a decent price which you'll have the pleasure and pride knowing it was put together by your hands, and we are here to help you along with any questions or bumps in the road with the build!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline rodentrancher

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 07:26:35 PM »
.... I have to admit I'm a bit curious about your screen name.

Nothing too interesting about its origin, I'm afraid. Back in the 90s, when the Internet was just starting to be a thing, my (then) young nephew was visiting and brought his pet rat (the fancy breeds of rats are actually rather cute and make surprisingly good pets.) I was replying to someone with the screen name of "CatHerder" on a forum, and needed a screen name for the account. Looked at my nephew playing with his rat, and "Rodentrancher" came to mind. Been using it ever since.

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 08:12:51 PM »
I'd like to chime in on the Kibler kits. I am finishing a .40 cal SMR from Kibler and I absolutely love it. Being a great fixer/repairman, I've never built a kit since High school (Radio Control Aircraft).  The Kibler kit is amazing! The kit extremely well made and there are You Tube videoson every phase of construction by Jim Kibler himself.  Dang, I think I just talked myself into another Kibler kit!  :Doh!
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online KDubs

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 08:33:13 PM »
If you're going to spend north of a grand then there are options for assembled guns if you have hesitations building a kit.
 That said, kibler woodsrunner has to be the easiest, quality kit you can buy.
 you can slap it together as is or spend a little time with a file and sandpaper to clean things up.  I highly recommend a kibler woodsrunner.
The hardest part is choosing a stock.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 08:34:28 PM »
The problem with the Kibler kits is they ain't cheap.  Worth the price?  Maybe, but it is a fair chunk of change to put on the line to try something out that you might not even like.
I am thinking about a Traditions Deer Hunter in .50 caliber.  It is about $385.  I would order a couple of extra mainsprings to go with it.
Or a Lyman would be a better choice, but more $$$.
You might look in Pawn Shops for a used one.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 08:59:22 PM »
Go for the Kibler.  You won't e sorry. :bigsmile:
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 10:32:20 PM »
I was going to add something, but my mind went blank.  And that is all this is about.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 12:08:51 PM »
The problem with the Kibler kits is they ain't cheap.  Worth the price?  Maybe, but it is a fair chunk of change to put on the line to try something out that you might not even like.
Hahahaa!  Were you watching the exchanges of posts on another forum in Re: my "Kibler kit experience"?  ARGH!  On the bright side, the lock is superb, and once lapped and crowned, the Green Mountain barrel shoots well--but the problem was something that a first timer would have had a lot of trouble with.

If the OP goes the Kibler route, I'd suggest he see the stock before purchase (Kibler has apparently been posting photos of many of the stocks as "specials" due to premium or unusual wood, or to minor defects).  Avoid cross-grain flow through the wrist. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 02:21:37 PM »
I would suggest starting out on a Lyman Great Plains Flintlock Rifle... It's a good rifle and well worth the money spent. It will serve you well... If you find that the ML (sport / hobby) isn't for you, you could probably sell the Lyman Great Plains Rifle a lot faster and, recoup most of your investment... If you find you really enjoy this "sport / hobby" than down the road look for an up' grade (such as the Kibler kit).  It's going to be a learning curve no matter which route you take... :shake

Big Smoke's reply is not a bad idea at all, IMHO...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline rodentrancher

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023, 12:09:14 PM »
I would suggest starting out on a Lyman Great Plains Flintlock Rifle... It's a good rifle and well worth the money spent.

I'd heard good things about Lyman black powder rifles, a pity they've been discontinued. If I can find a used one in good shape, that's something I will consider.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2023, 12:15:28 PM »
 :Doh!

I'm getting old... I forgot they were discontinued...  :Doh!

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2023, 01:54:22 PM »
I would suggest starting out on a Lyman Great Plains Flintlock Rifle... It's a good rifle and well worth the money spent.

I'd heard good things about Lyman black powder rifles, a pity they've been discontinued. If I can find a used one in good shape, that's something I will consider.

Look around the net, GB, and local pawn shops, should be able to find a Lyman at a decent price, and there is nothing wrong with their locks, no need to by a new L&R, I have had several Lyman GPR's over the last 35 years and have never had a lock problem. Actually I've never had a problem with a TC lock either.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2023, 05:25:02 PM »

Look around the net, GB, and local pawn shops, should be able to find a Lyman at a decent price, and there is nothing wrong with their locks, no need to by a new L&R, I have had several Lyman GPR's over the last 35 years and have never had a lock problem. Actually I've never had a problem with a TC lock either.

I agree with Beaverman. I have never experienced any problem with the GPR's Flintlock. It answered the call every time I pulled the trigger.