Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Steaming a stock  (Read 292 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Steaming a stock
« on: April 02, 2024, 02:07:00 PM »
The new-to-me 3rd T-C Pennsylvania Hunter had a problem: I had to lift my head off the stock to line up the sights.  I had thought about putting some type of pad on the comb, but then remembered reading long ago about steaming the stock to alter it.  So, I put on a large pan of water to boil, lay the wrist of the stock over it, covered the stock and pan with aluminum foil to seal the steam in, lay a folded towel over top of that and let it sit on the burner for, IIRC, 30 minutes:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I then clamped it in my Workmate vice and tightened that down as tight as I could get it:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

and left it overnight.  The next day I reassembled the rifle and it formed the stock enough that I can keep a good cheek weld.

A word of caution: I should have put a block between the vice jaws and the the stock at the tang.  It broke a small piece of wood off the inlet for the tang.  I didn't notice that until I was putting it together again, and by that time the sliver had disappeared in my garage/shop.

Otherwise this worked well for me.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Steaming a stock
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 04:26:04 PM »

Not for the faint of heart - nice work !  :toast
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 05:42:06 PM »
Did it affect the finish at all? I've steamed raw wood before, but never finished wood.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 01:08:18 PM »
Did it affect the finish at all? I've steamed raw wood before, but never finished wood.
Yes it did. The portion which was over the pot is noticeably darker than the rest, sort of like it got a sun tan with the ends covered.  But it doesn't look bad so I'm leaving it as is.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025