Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Some Interesting Lock Information  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Some Interesting Lock Information
« on: January 09, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
About 26 / 27 years ago, I bought a used Euroarms Of America ".50 caliber Kentucky Flintlock Rifle"

Off and on over the years I've been tweeking the Lock and nursing it to function properly,,, yesterday I finally got it tuned (not that I've worked on it every Day or even Month & Year) it was one of those "it needs work" rifle's and so it set with nothing done to it for many years... (Call it my retirement project)...  Anyway, for $25.00 back then I could hardly pass it by as there's at least that much value setting here with that rifle in parts alone.

Anyway, through my research and measuring here and there and comparing lock size and such, the lock on this rifle has the same dimensions at the Pedersoli Locks and even the same side plate as two of the Pedersoli cap pistols I own... (So much exactness that I took the Flintlock out of this Rifle and put one of those Pedersoli Cap Pistol's Lock in the mortise - and it fit perfect!!!)

The dimensions are also equal (if not exact to the Dixie GW Pennsylvania Rifle (though a little wood working may be required to fit this Dixie Lock, but not very much it would appear...

Now this all leads me to ask the following question;

Did Pedersoli buy out Euroarms and other offshore companies and use their parts, or were they selling their parts to other offshore companies who were turning out these Rifles? On Pedersoli's site, I can buy this same flintlock Lock that's in this old rifle right now that's flying under the name of Euroarms Of America...

I though this was interesting and my be of some help to others who are looking for parts for old offshore muzzle loading firearms who's companies no longer exist.

Okay, here is the correct picture and lock of the Euroarms flintlock I'm talking about. Mine is in .50 caliber and the lock and patch box is correct, as well as the, trigger, trigger guard, thimbles, toe plate, butt plate, and nose cap... Only difference is mine has a brass rear sight and iring front sight... It's a one piece stock which may have been built from a kit in the 1970's /80's  :shake

6-1/2 pounds, 50-9/16" Length, .50 cal x 13/16 x 35-1/2" Barrel, 9/16" Breech Plug, 13-1/2" Trigger Pull

NOTE: My self imposed load is; (50 grns 2fg, .015 to .018 Patch, .490 Ball) Note; I have shot 60 grains out of this as well)

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Some Interesting Lock Information
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »
Joe, idk about the lock comparisons, but thats good info to have. When I switched mine over to flint, I bought the lock from the Ped. Distributer in the US, lock plates being identical.
That picture looks like my Pedersoli Pennsalvania/Dixie rifle with the exception that
Mine has a ds trigger.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 08:41:32 PM »
I posted the wrong picture ridjruner... :Doh!

I'll just take a picture and post it...

The lock information is good info to have, and if one is ever looking for a replacement lock, they can ask these questions to be sure they're getting the right lock.  :bl th up

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 10:49:51 AM »
 :shake
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »
Okay, here is the correct picture and lock of the Euroarms flintlock I'm talking about. Mine is in .50 caliber and the lock and patch box is correct, as well as the, trigger, trigger guard, thimbles, toe plate, butt plate, and nose cap... Only difference is mine has a brass rear sight and iring front sight... It's a one piece stock which may have been built from a kit in the 1970's /80's  :shake

6-1/2 pounds, 50-9/16" Length, .50 cal x 13/16 x 35-1/2" Barrel, 9/16" Breech Plug, 13-1/2" Trigger Pull

NOTE: My self imposed load is; (50 grns 2fg, .015 to .018 Patch, .490 Ball) Note; I have shot 60 grains out of this as well)