Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Dehydrated Pea's?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
Dehydrated Pea's?
« on: July 17, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »
I am beginning to plan a few overnight camping trips for this upcoming hunting season and I am going to start working on my food to take with me.
I am going to make some jerkey and dehydrate some corn but I was wondering if I could dehydrate peas also. I can't find anything saying I can but I can't find anything saying that I can't either. Can any of you guy's help me out and maybe give me a few pointers?
Thanks for your time.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »
Yup, you can dry peas. Do whatever you do to dry corn. We used to dry all our peas, beans, and sweet corn--no freezer/electricity then.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:00:23 AM »
I am with Kermit.....No reason I can see would not allow it.I have also
seen dehydrated fruits.Bananas and apples especially. You may have to do something to fruit to keep from turning color. Maybe like
soaking in a citrus solution prior to the drying process.
Let us know how yours turn out.
snake-eyes :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »
I have a dehydrator that my wife got me at Wally World to make jerkey with and I put a bag of frozen corn and a bag of frozen peas in it last night and turned it on.
This afternoon, I put some of each into a cup of hot water and 30 minutes later the corn and peas had plumped right back up. I am totally satisfied in these two vegetables becoming my overnite dinner entrees.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
Thomas Jefferson did it!  Peas were his favorite vittle!

He sent a mess o' them with the Corps of Discovery.  One of the staples was a packaged 'soup' of dried peas, lentils, leeks and salt pork.

If you do it right you can have a trekking meal that is historically correct to the early 1800's at least!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »
They called it "portable soup," IIRC.  :?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »
Dried peas have been a staple since pre-roman times.  Nowadays we call 'em "Split Peas".  Remember the nursery rhyme, "Pease Porridge Hot, Pease Porridge Cold, Pease Porridge In The Pot, Nine Days Old"?  We now call Pease Porridge  split pea soup.

There are few dishes as comforting on a gray, rainy, chilly day than a nice large bowl or two (or three) of split pea soup with a pilot cracker or two to go with it.

I like split pea soup made from the liquor left from cooking corned beef with the spices strained out, some left over corned beef cut up, with a carrot or two and an onion diced into it, all simmered until the peas go soft and the onion and carrots are nice and tender.   Of course, the old stand by pea soup with a nice smoked ham hock or pork necks with the carrots and onion are wonderful as well.  

My ma used to make pea soup a couple times a month, usually on Saturdays.  She liked it especially because if extra kids showed up at suppertime it stretched just fine with the addition of two or three cups of water and a buillon cube or two tossed in.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:11 AM »
Frankly, unless you're drying peas you harvested and shelled, you might want to consider just looking for dried, whole peas in the Hispanic section of the grocery store.  Goya makes a good, dried, whole pea.  It just saves time and money compared to drying frozen peas.  

Roger's Rangers would make a thick, pea soup, and freeze it, then hack a chunk off of the block and add it to boiling water, but that's not "portable soup", which is a sort of boullion type concoction...,

PORTABLE SOUP
INGREDIENTS.—2 knuckles of veal, 3 shins of beef, 1 large faggot of herbs, 2 bay-leaves, 2 heads of celery, 3 onions, 3 carrots, 2 blades of mace, 6 cloves, a teaspoonful of salt, sufficient water to cover all the ingredients.

Take the marrow from the bones; put all the ingredients in a stock-pot, and simmer slowly for 12 hours, or more, if the meat be not done to rags; strain it off, and put it in a very cool place; take off all the fat, reduce the liquor in a shallow pan, by setting it over a sharp fire, but be particular that it does not burn; boil it fast and uncovered for 8 hours, and keep it stirred. Put it into a deep dish, and set it by for a day. Have ready a stewpan of boiling water, place the dish in it, and keep it boiling; stir occasionally, and when the soup is thick and ropy, it is done. Form it into little cakes by pouring a small quantity on to the bottom of cups or basins; when cold, turn them out on a flannel to dry. Keep them from the air in tin canisters.

Average cost of this quantity, 16s.

Note.—Soup can be made in 5 minutes with this, by dissolving a small piece, about the size of a walnut, in a pint of warm water, and simmering for 2 minutes.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
Re: Dehydrated Pea's?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
Anyone do the dehydration in the oven? How long might that take?
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Bison Horn

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »
Used to make jerky in the oven (gas oven) hung the strips on tooth picks thru the racks.  I think with the oven door cracked it took 6-8 hrs. Good to do in the winter so you don't waste heat. BH
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
While not H/C,I buy the split pea's  and bean soup mix along with some rice and olive oil from the store and am good for a couple of meals in the bush. You can add any critter you happen to get to the mix.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
Quote from: "pathfinder"
While not H/C,I buy the split pea's  and bean soup mix along with some rice and olive oil from the store and am good for a couple of meals in the bush. You can add any critter you happen to get to the mix.
pathfinder,
              I have heard thru the grapevine,that peas,beans,rice and olive oil is about all the wild things you put in the pot.No cats in camp I guess???? :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
Ouch.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
I also use the store bought dried stuff since the 'real deal' takes so much effort.

I have also tried my own versions of 'salt pork' and like my soft jerky better for my version of portable soup.

Anyone have any good recipes for home done salt pork or salt beef that would be good to share?  Mine was too salty, too tough and too d@n& much work!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »
I have heard thru the grapevine,that peas,beans,rice and olive oil is about all the wild things you put in the pot.No cats in camp I guess???? :shake[/quote]

Double ouch!! Not my fault Swamp hoard's all the squirrels at his place!
NRA life member
NMLRA