Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: hammocks  (Read 1902 times)

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: hammocks
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
Dave, I think Pathfinder has the right idea. Hammocks and army syle cots may be ok in warmer climes, but when the weather gets cooler, you don't want all that cold breeze flowing under your bed! I have been trying to come up with something too. Something that doesn't weigh a ton or has a lot of bulk. Try researching rope beds, some can be folding, or made on site if you're allowed to use local material. Hammocks may be ok for an afternoon nap in the back yard, but I can't imagine sleeping overnight in one. I know I like to sleep on my side and switch from side to side during the night, not too easy in a hammock! I picked up a folding alum bed last year, and it has a nice 4" mattress, so I will be using just the mattress this year. Good luck in your search.  :rt th
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Quote from: "greyhunter"
when the weather gets cooler, you don't want all that cold breeze flowing under your bed!
Breeze or no breeze, you need as many blankets under you as over you in the winter.
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
Yes hammocks were known.  The problem of having them set up right, and the problem of getting out of them if attacked seems to be reasons for them not catching on in the woods.  They are also pretty cold when cool air circulates under them, and historically they worked well in Cuba and SE Asia, probably due to the climate.   :rt th

You mentioned air mattress and foam..., so I suspect that you are not talking about a trek?  So..., how about a straw-tick?  

Buy five yards of ticking material, the same used for pillows, and patching round ball and such.  Fold it in half width-wise, and sew up one side.  Measure the width of your shoulders, trim it up to that width plus 1/2", and sew a 1/2" wide seam on the other side.  You should now have a cloth bag, sewed on both sides, with an open end, and 6' 6" long.  This is the "tick".

At an event, you take half of a standard bale of straw, take handfuls of the straw, and add it to the inside of the tick, losely, as you don't want hard clumps.  A half bale is all you want.  Use a leather thong to tie up the open end, and then shake the tick to evenly distribute the straw on the inside.  Lay the tick on the ground, and lie on it to pack it down.  You will have a comfortable "mattress", that is correct, and insulates quite well.  

I used mine this past weekend in the cold and damp at Ft. Fred, and only needed my matchcoat, and a thin British military surplus blanket, plus a knit cap, and was toasty warm in 40 degree temps.  

When done, you dump out the straw, and roll up the tick until the next event.  You can launder it if needed.  

Use the remainder of the cloth that you cut off for round-ball patching or for other projects.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
Re:
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 03:23:16 AM »
Quote from: "No Deer"
I have wondered about hammocks also, but reasoned that probably not very practical when trying to trying to be somewhat concealed at night in the forest with unfriendlies about.

well, I am a thinking that puttin a hammock across the trail would be a good ideer. Just think, some miscreant is walkin down the trail and bops clean inta a chubby ol' mountain man sleepin a way and gets clean knocked off his feet, well, the feller in the hammock would just swing over, cuz now he's been woken up by some misicrean and gives him a wack on the noggin and it's all over.  :Doh!

in all seriousness (or as serious as I can be). I have only heard of hammocks being used by sailors and some in the more equatorial latitudes.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline Snapper

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
I would second Loyalist Dave's suggestion of using a tick.  While straw is provided at most events I attend, you can also stuff the tick with tried leaves when out in the woods on a scouting trip.  The leaves will do the same thing for you as the straw and is also period correct; if that matters for you.

Until next time...Be well.

snapper
TMA Member Number 646
Expires 10/22/12

Offline mattdanison

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »
Here's a bit of info from a book called "The Discoveries of John Lederer:  "Instructions to such as shall march upon discoveries into the North American continent."

Page 26: "Such as cannot lie on the ground, must be provided with light hammocks, which hung in trees, are more cool and pleasant than any bed whatsoever."

The book is about his 1669-1670 trip.  In the colonies of Virginia and Carolina, John Lederer was a 17th century frontier traveler.

I made my own hammock from a king size cotton sheet.  I gathered, then folded one end over into a thick fist sized loop, and wrapped 3/8" manila rope around and through the loop.  My rope is 40' long so I wrap it around one tree a couple of times and then run it to the second tree and wrap that tree a couple of times.  I then gathered and folded the other end of the sheet and put the rope around and through it.  When you get into the hammock the knots will tighten and become more secure.  In fact, it's a good idea to put a green stick into the knot so you can untie the darn thing the next morning.  The overhead rope can be used to support your oilcloth and/or an additional bedsheet that will fall around you and make a nice mosquito net.  (I spray permathrin on these sheets and my clothing and hang 'em outside the night before I start my trek.)  You can hang some of your gear in bags from the rope so you don't have to get out of the hammock during the night to get something you might need.  Tie some jute twine to the rope near the knots.  That will keep rain from running down the rope and into your hammock.

When on a solo scout here in Central Florida I sleep in a hammock.  Bugs, fire ants, snakes, hogs, and gators are active at night.  I suppose there is small chance of meeting a black bear, panther or python too.

"When you sleep in your cloak there's no lodging to pay"  George Whyte-Melville
TMA Member Number 637
Expires 07/25/2012