Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Groats  (Read 1479 times)

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
Groats
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
Just tried groats for the first time. Did the boil, simmer for an hour then add butter and honey and had some for breakfast.

Came out better than I expected and was wondering if anybody has any other combinations they've tried with them (like adding ham, etc..).
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Groats
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
ok gotta ask,what is a groat.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
Believe the term "groats" is Scottish.

Oat groats are whole, minimally processed oats. Because they have not been extensively processed, they retain a high nutritional value, and they can be used in a variety of ways. However, they also take a long time to prepare and cook, requiring hours of soaking and cooking before they are usable. Many markets carry oat groats, often in the cereal section or in the bulk area, if the market sells things in bulk.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
Actually I was going to ask "which" because...,

Groats are the hulled whole grains of various cereals, such as oats, wheat, barley or buckwheat .

The term is applied commonly to oats, and is what you have before you steel cut or roll the oats into oatmeal.  Wheat is also referred to prior to milling as a groat, but also as a kernel.  Barley is more commonly referred to as "barley corn" which is why you find early references to "Indian Corn" because back then if you said "I had a good crop of corn" folks might ask you "Indian or barley".  Buckwheat is also commonly referred to as "buckwheat groats" or "buckwheat flour" when processed.  

Boiled barley groats were a staple for the Roman army btw when in the field and not able to bake barley bread in ovens at a town or fort.  

Yes I regularly boil oat groats or barley corns for food.  They are a welcome diversion from parched corn when trekking, but they do take a bit of time to cook.  I buy mine from the Amish market, and I also buy dried hominy as well as wild rice there as well.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
I got some at the bulk food place this weekend. We will try them for breakfast this week.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »
Quote from: "david32cal"

David,
         I think they are them goofy farm animals that eat cans and such things....WOOPS
did not see the 'R'.. :lol:
         Well I never ate one of them either,but.....now grits is a whole different thing!
I love grits. :th up
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
If you have the Bob's Red Mill line of grains and flour products (look in the "organic" section), that's a great source of buckwheat groats. Can be had on-line too--what can't these days? Cooks up like rice--pretty quick. Tasty too. Add some onion once in a while. Used to eat them a lot. Wonder why it's been a while. I think I need to stop at the store soon.

Also, pearl barley with split peas and a used beef or ham bone makes one of my favorite soups. Some carrots, onions.......
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Woodrock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 02:34:22 AM »
The Scot's way of cooking porridge and groats is to add four cups of water to one of cut oats or groats, bring to the boil, turn the burner off, slap a tight fitting lid on the pot, and wait util morning. A quick reheat, and breakfast is ready. I use the microwave at home. My porridge is a mix of both steel cut oats, and groats.  Camping, the reheat is the frying pan.
Woody

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »
Well, bliff bliff is still alive and functioning as our national match director, few years hence, so I guess the groats aren't toxic...LOL
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Bison Horn

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
Quote from: "snake eyes"
Quote from: "david32cal"

David,
         I think they are them goofy farm animals that eat cans and such things....WOOPS
did not see the 'R'.. :lol:
         Well I never ate one of them either,but.....now grits is a whole different thing!
I love grits. :th up
Umm on both counts. Bh
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.