Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What's fer breakfast?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
Re: What's fer breakfast?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
Shot buffer??!! Herasey man! Herasey! (Did I spell that right?)
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Quote from: "Two Steps"
Riley Informed:
I read an article in an older issue of Muzzleloader this mornin that said grits work great as shot buffer!

Well sir...I reckon smoked grits might taste ok...but trying to pick all them little buggers up off the ground is gonna be an all day job! :rotf  :applaud
Al, Al, Al, what's a mother to do?

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 06:12:34 PM »
russ quizzed:
Al, Al, Al, what's a mother to do?

Well...um..I reckon ya could put a tarp out in front of ya...that would help  :)
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Mischief

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
Having just returned from the state of Maryland I had CRAB Cakes for breakfeast,lunch & dinner. Of course I am NOT PC as they now are in MD

Offline Rasch Chronicles

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://trochronicles.blogspot.com
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
Howdy folks,

I'll refrain from discussing what I typically have for breakfast out here in the Afghan wastelands, but when we go camping, we have a regular menu so to speak.

I usually get up just before dawn. Since it’s fall, the air will be brisk, my breath will be visible in the waning moonlight.  I'll rummage around through the stack of firewood and kindling I laid up the night before looking for the right combination of twigs to restart the fire. Last night, 'fore going to bed, I banked the coals and laid a big hunk of wood against it. That way, in the morning, regardless of weather, I would be sure to find hot coals beneath the log. It doesn't take long for me to get a proper fire built again. Usually the snapping and crackling will get the Mrs awake and I'll hear her moving about getting ready. By then, I will have set the blue enamel coffee pot on the stones I had set in the pit earlier. While I wait for the milk to get hot, I'll set the skillet in place and go roust the kids up. That takes some doing.

I set aside potatoes I cooked last night, and now I put them next to the coals to heat up. Nothing like hot potatoes to fill you up and keep you going!

I'll check the milk to make sure it doesn't burn, and add the chocolate to it. (I haven't figured out a way to make Lattes while camping...) I'll stir that with a clean stick until the chocolate is all mixed in and the milk is steaming. Usually I will have split a log in two and made me a little flat place to set hot items. Pouring a hot cup, I'll go to the tent where the Mrs is waiting, and hand it to her. It's our little camping thing. She'll take a sip, hand it back to me, and I'll help her out of the tent to sit by the fire while I get breakfast going.

The skillet is good and hot when I dump the bacon on there. It'll sizzle and spit and pop, complaining the whole time. Eggs follow soon thereafter, golden yellow globes reflecting the now rising sun. The Mrs by now is cajoling the boys out of the tent, their sleepy countenances telling us they would rather be inside their sleeping bags, but the smell of bacon in the cool air is just enough to keep them awake. Mom makes them a cup of chocolate, and they sit by the fire staring as folks are wont to do at the dancing flames and glowing coals.

I'll turn the potatoes a few more times, flip the eggs and drain the bacon while the Mrs gets all the plates and silverware ready. I've already sneaked a piece of bacon or two, so I'm good for a couple of more minutes while the boys tuck into their food. The Mrs and I wait, enjoying the air, the trees, the boys eating and softly speaking about one thing or another. Finally, sure that all is as it should be, I'll serve up a couple of more plates for she and I.

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
Real Men Hunt
"Skull Mountain" Sperwan Ghar, Panjwai District, Afghanistan
Standing Ready when the Wolves Growl at the Door...
[size=85]TMA Member #638 Expires 08/10/2012[/size]

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »
Ron,
      Look out friend :)
Albert,
         You need to get back home for a camping trip!
Dr  snake-eyes  orders
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
Quote from: "Rasch Chronicles"
(I haven't figured out a way to make Lattes while camping...)

I was down at the sporting goods place a while ago, and I noticed that Coleman has a portable espresso machine, propane fired.

You just gotta get back into the world once in a while and catch up with all these technical marvels!! :rotf

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Rasch Chronicles

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://trochronicles.blogspot.com
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 12:51:19 AM »
OMG! (as my kids would say)
Coleman has a portable espresso machine, propane fired.

You have got to be kidding me! I really go outdoors to get away from it all, and I love the idea of trekking for that reason. We (I) have romantisized idea of what the early pioneers and longhunters experienced. Even those of us that might be well read on the subject intelectually understand the constant danger they were in, but when we go out, emotionally we experience a calming sensation, shedding the modern world we live in.

Now if it  were wood fired...

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
The Art of Smoking
"Skull Mountain" Sperwan Ghar, Panjwai District, Afghanistan
Standing Ready when the Wolves Growl at the Door...
[size=85]TMA Member #638 Expires 08/10/2012[/size]

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »
There is one that you can use on your camp stove (or fire). One of the guys that was an Assistant Scoutmaster in our Troop for a while bought one.....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:12 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
There is one that you can use on your camp stove (or fire). One of the guys that was an Assistant Scoutmaster in our Troop for a while bought one.....

Hey, I have one of those. Almost works too.
I use a blue enamel cup so it is PC.  :bl th up

Besides it is PC. Been in my family for hundreds of years... now that i think about it... it may be the very same fish too... :rotf
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
I've been about the world a bit, and wherever I go, I eat. Dangedest thing. First time in Germany a friend asked me how I was so brave ordering from menus when I was not so very good with the language. I told him that if it's on the menu, people eat it, and if I don't like it I don't have to eat it more than once.

Not for breakfast, but the two things I had on pizza in southern France was an egg in the middle and duck gizzards that I'd sure like to know how to cook like that. Later had the same meat on a "salad gourmande."

Positively the best breakfasts ever were in Switzerland. Why my ancestors ever left is certainly a puzzle. Stayed in a GREAT attic room in Neuchatel. View of Lake Lucerne. Breakfast every morning was some of the best coffee I've ever, along with an equal sized pitcher of hot, steaming milk. Juice, yogurt, fresh fruit, several kinds of sliced cheese and coldcuts, butter, jam, and bread that was fresh from the bakery that morning. Something to be said for civilization. Could have stayed there forever.

My grandfather, from his bachelor cowboy days, said the best breakfast is coffee, steak, eggs, potatoes, and apple pie. Ordered it early one morning in a little town in Wyoming, and dang, he's got something there.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393